How often do you adjust pH levels?

TA is mostly a measure of bicarbonate in the pool and is a measure of how over-carbonated the pool water is compared to carbon dioxide in the air. When the TA is higher, the pH lower, and/or there is more aeration, then there is more carbon dioxide outgassing and that has the pH rise (with no change in TA). So if a pool is tending to rise in pH and it's not from other sources (such as plaster curing), then lowering the TA and having a higher pH target will lessen the rate of pH rise. Using 50 ppm Borates as an additional non-carbonate pH buffer slows down the rate of rise, but may not lower the total amount of acid that needs to be added (so you still add it, but less often).

TA is mostly a measure of bicarbonate in the pool and is a measure of how over-carbonated the pool water is compared to carbon dioxide in the air. When the TA is higher, the pH lower, and/or there is more aeration, then there is more carbon dioxide outgassing and that has the pH rise (with no change in TA). So if a pool is tending to rise in pH and it's not from other sources (such as plaster curing), then lowering the TA and having a higher pH target will lessen the rate of pH rise. Using 50 ppm Borates as an additional non-carbonate pH buffer slows down the rate of rise, but may not lower the total amount of acid that needs to be added (so you still add it, but less often).

Chem Geek,

I never really read up on borates until now. It seems like most people are happy they did it and a few might have had some regrets. If you were in my position, would you use boric acid? Keep in mind that the main reason why I want to use this product is to decrease the frequency of having to add MA to lower my pH. I think one of the posts even said it helped them lower the frequency of adding bleach. That would be great. I realize that the boric acid will help me with frequency and not quantity, meaning I still would have to add the same amount as if I didn't use boric acid. My goal is more to save time as opposed to money.

Some background info: My pool is balanced and the numbers are at the beginning of this thread. My TA is 80ppm. I would say that I would have to add 40 oz of MA to lower my pH every 2 days.

My concern is that if I add the boric acid and it throws my numbers way off. I rather not go from an okay position to a worse position. I understand that I'm just asking your opinion and, of course, I would not fault you if you advised me to add the boric acid and I get adverse results.

I would wait on adding borates to your pool if it were mine. When I added borates to my pool it was about the same age of yours and it did very little to extend the time between acid additions. Once winter came along my plaster was a year old and the acid additions were dramatically reduced. I say to wait it out and see how the pool does over the winter and then decide if you want to go the borate route.

For me it's another chemical that I need to keep track of and boost up every year. I would really liked to have known more on how my pool would have behaved without the borates once the pool settled down now that I now a bit more about pools.

I would wait on adding borates to your pool if it were mine. When I added borates to my pool it was about the same age of yours and it did very little to extend the time between acid additions. Once winter came along my plaster was a year old and the acid additions were dramatically reduced. I say to wait it out and see how the pool does over the winter and then decide if you want to go the borate route.

For me it's another chemical that I need to keep track of and boost up every year. I would really liked to have known more on how my pool would have behaved without the borates once the pool settled down now that I now a bit more about pools.

Thanks, Ping. I knew you would comment somehow because I see your posts in the past on borates. Haha! You're one of the anti-borates. Maybe not anti but not pro neither.

I think you're right, though and I've decided to do that. Thank you for your input

I'm not anti-borates, just like to be cautious with new members getting the idea that borates will solve their problems. I believe the pools that get the most benefits out of borates are SWG pools.

When the time comes to drain my pool, high CH, I will not be adding borates for a year to see how the pool behaves. If I find that the SWG gets scale and the acid additions increase then I will add them. In 4 years my SWG needed to be cleaned with acid twice and I haven't needed to add acid for a month now, but it is getting close as the water additions have driven the pH and TA up a bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.