Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you adjust pH levels?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often do you adjust pH levels?

I believe that I have my pool balanced according to the recommendations on this forum. However, I find that I have to add MA to level my pH about every 2 days.

Is this normal?

What is the average amount of days between adjusting pH for a balanced pool?
    24K gallon, IG, plaster, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Filter, Pentair Heater, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Built in March 2015, Taylor K-2006, Spa included

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often do you adjust pH levels?

What are your levels?

At first I had to do some manipulation but once I got my TA settled my pH rarely moves. I'm at pH 7.6 and TA 100. I only test it once a week now since it doesn't move. I'm happy with it!
    ~19k Gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward SP2607X10 1hp pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, built in 70s, has 8 deep end with diving board, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 1 low hole, Polaris booster pump PB4-60, old Polaris robot not sure model, Rheem P-M266A-EN-C 266,000 BTU heater, solar cover, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow! Please tell me how you do that. Here are my levels:

Cl: 5ppm
    pH: 7.6
    TA: 80ppm
    CH: 260ppm
    CYA: 40ppm

I love taking care of my pool but it kind of sucks that we have to monitor it every day. Once a week would be perfect.

What about chlorine? Please don't tell me you only have to adjust that once a week. You're gonna kill me!
    24K gallon, IG, plaster, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Filter, Pentair Heater, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Built in March 2015, Taylor K-2006, Spa included

4. Back To Top    #4

I check and adjust my chlorine and cc's every morning. Then every Monday I do a full workup. My pH really found it's own sweet spot after I lowered my TA from 170 down to 80 and added borates via borax. After I added borates the ta rose to 100 within a couple weeks and pH had some deviations but my pool seems to like 7.6.

5. Back To Top    #5

Does anyone know what causes pH to decrease, assuming that the rest of the levels are balanced?

My TA is 80ppm. Do you think if I raised it to 100 or 120, my pH would not fluctuate as much?

6. Back To Top    #6

Ph rise-Big water movement such as waterfalls, overspills, returns rolling the water, LOTS of splashing in the pool, etc.

You will learn what your pool wants. My pool likes a TA of 75 to keep my PH in line at 7.6 or so.

Kim

oops I just reread you post and saw you said decrease........The only thing I know that decreases PH is muratic acid.
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I noticed that my pH like to be on the high side of the range, 7.7 or 7.8. Attempts to keep it lower are futile.
    18k gal AG Sand Filter K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

My PH used to fluctuate as well until I just let my TA remain a little lower (60-70). That seemed to help stabilize my PH. I rarely use my fountain, so I don't have a lot of aeration to drive my PH back up.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Your pool is new so you are seeing an increase in the pH due to the plaster curing. The rise from the curing plaster will slow down after a year and you will have to stay on top of the pH and not let it get above 7.8 for too long.

If you raise the TA it will only cause the pH to rise faster.

You want to reduce any type of aeration as much as you can. Is the spa raised? If so, make sure the water only trickles down and doesn't splash into the pool.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi Brian -
    I think ping nailed it. I too have to add ~16 oz MA every two days due to pH rise from 7.5 to 7.7-7.8ish (TA: 110). My plaster is a little over a month old and I was told to watch the pH because it will tend to rise. I have no spa/waterfall/fountain/splashing to cause the Ph to rise either. I think it is primarily due to the new plaster. Also don't know if my TA should be lower. My TF-100 says level should be 100-120 so I figure I am good.
    Devon
    ~20K Colored Plaster (Sliver) IG Pool Only - Basically New (5/15)
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump / Jandy DEV60 DE Filter
    Raypack LoNox 407A - ASME - Electronic Ignition
    ThePoolCleaner / TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

I have mine balanced as well:

FC varies from 5.0-8.0
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    TA 90
    CH 290
    CYA 80

And my PH drifts up close to 8. I add a cup of acid every 3 days or so. I am assuming my SWG is the culprit.

EDIT: My plaster is 7 years old and fully cured.
    23K plaster inground; Pentair pump w/cartridge filter; SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

My PH remains more stable with a TA of 70. When my TA is higher, I have to adjust PH more often. Every pool has it's personality.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

13. Back To Top    #13

MY plaster is 9 months old and I have to add about 12 oz a day. I have a spillover spa and a water slide which really stirs up the water. TA is currently at 90.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

14. Back To Top    #14

I feel your pain. I have new plaster plus a fountain that runs almost all day. I need to at 1/4-1/2 gallon of MA every day.

I hope the PH rise will slow down after the plaster cures more.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Ph rise-Big water movement such as waterfalls, overspills, returns rolling the water, LOTS of splashing in the pool, etc.

You will learn what your pool wants. My pool likes a TA of 75 to keep my PH in line at 7.6 or so.

Kim

oops I just reread you post and saw you said decrease........The only thing I know that decreases PH is muratic acid.
    Kim,

You are right. I meant to say "increase" because that's my problem. I would stabilize my pH to 7.6 and in 2 days, the pH would rise to the highest shade of the comparator tube, which is 8.0ppm. I would have to add 2 drops to get the the shade back to 7.6 (Taylor 2006-K test kit).

You bring up a good point about what causes pH to increase. I have 3 kinda small waterfalls and my pool builder scheduled it to run 5mins/day, everyday. I'm going to cut it down and see if my pH will be more stable. Does anyone think that I should turn it completely off until I want to actually use it?

Kim, how often do you adjust your pH?

16. Back To Top    #16

Everyone here is really nice. I appreciate your time. I've been thinking about what Kim and Ping have said. I will cut down on the waterfall and see if that will prevent my pH from fluctuating. Maybe that's why Pinguy has to put so much MA/day?

If that doesn't work, I guess it might be the new plaster.

17. Back To Top    #17

My PH is fine IF it does not rain much. With my everyday rain I have to push it down about every 3 days. None rainy times I do not have to work on it much at all.

I would NOT stop running your waterfalls 5 mins a day. The water needs to move through the lines or it can grow algae and get nasty fast. MUCH easier to push PH down than have to fight an algae bloom!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

I agree with kimkats, do not stop running the waterfalls as 5 minutes a day isn't adding much to the pH rise but it will prevent the falls from growing algae on them.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

19. Back To Top    #19

OK, thanks guys!

20. Back To Top    #20

Like others have said PH can vary pool to pool

Following the recommended TFP TA levels, my PH is always a rock solid 7.5 never needing any adjustment through out the year.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast