No CYA from the beginning, no FC

Re: Still Struggling ! (from the no cya thread previously)

If your shock level is 28 then you need to be at or above that level. It seems like your chlorine readings are well below shock level??
what do people do when you can't be home all day every day to take care of this problem? When I stay home I can't test every hour - I have farm chores to do. so could it be a good situation for the bleach pucks???

There is no such thing as bleach pucks ... they are trichlor and they add more stabilizer which then means you need to hold the FC even higher. You did not post 1 FC level that was at or above shock level from what I saw. People that work tend to have to just test and adjust 3 times a day (morning, after work, before bed). The more often you can do it, the fast the process will go.

jblizzle, I did the water in the glass trick but there isn't anything in the bottom of the glass after it sits overnight. we don't have a pool skimmer on this pool as it is a simple little soft side pool. is there another way we can ad DE? Also what is OCLT test?

Jason, today 8/9. 8am. 25.5. Vacuumed, swept he bottom, it looks worse than when we started!! Ugh. added water after we flushed the filter 12:00 22.5. 7pm 22.5

did anyone notice that I said that we are adding our filtered well water when the water level drops? Could this be our problem?

Part of the problem is that you are never at or slightly above the target FC level for your CYA level. Add the amount to reach your goal, retest sooner to see if you even met your goal. Is there anyone at the house you could trust to add some bleach while you are at work?

Success!! The fc tested at 30ppm this morning!! I will check again in a few hours before I leave to be gone for the rest of the afternoon. I'll leave the measured bleach for the hubby to do while I'm gone but he won't do a test.. just add bleach.

Unfortunately I have to stop at the pool store for more FC regent :-( and bleach. and the pool looks as yucky as it did yesterday. Keeping fingers crossed that this finally works. I'm leaning toward dumping the whole mess and having a new batch of water delivered but with summer almost over and it's not something I really want to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We filled with our well water two weeks ago (new pool), as we knew our iron was quite low from well tests. Anyway, the water was terrible for the first few days, so cloudy, I thought we would never swim in it...all hope was lost. We just kept at it and were patient, following Pool School. Literally one night I went to bed and it was a dark cloudy mess...and the next day when I lifted our cover to test, it was sparkling and clear. I did a double-take. Just keep at it, you are close!

Well water can have metals in it most commonly iron, so good for mentioning it. I would still be following Jason's advice if it were me. I have read many of his threads and he is pretty good. Just words for encouragement.

We filled with our well water two weeks ago (new pool), as we knew our iron was quite low from well tests. Anyway, the water was terrible for the first few days, so cloudy, I thought we would never swim in it...all hope was lost. We just kept at it and were patient, following Pool School. Literally one night I went to bed and it was a dark cloudy mess...and the next day when I lifted our cover to test, it was sparkling and clear. I did a double-take. Just keep at it, you are close!

thanks - I'll keep after it!!

- - - Updated - - -

Well water can have metals in it most commonly iron, so good for mentioning it. I would still be following Jason's advice if it were me. I have read many of his threads and he is pretty good. Just words for encouragement.

thanks - I needed that!!

FINALLY!!! Heading in the right direction! Less cloudy, less green. the filter is working so much better after taking the little grid off of one of the suction outlets. I could actually see the bottom to vacuum it and there wasn't as much junk on the top with the new skimmer. (we have birch trees that shed tiny little seed pods all day long in the wind.ugh)
fc fell to 22.5 at one point today but the CYA is at 55. We added chlorine all day to keep it pushed back up. more tomorrow - Paula

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.