best times to add chlorine

BigRobRN

Silver Supporter
Jun 14, 2015
Greenwell Springs, LA
Hey guys, I am losing approx 3 ppm daily in my pool with 10 hrs of direct sunlight and heat. I am not stressing about this.
Would it make more sense to add 1/2 of what I need in the morning when my pump kicks on, and the other 1/2 about an hour before my pump kicks off?
I am currently using pool math to bring my FC level to the correct level using 8.25% bleach, and I add it all at one time in the morning when my pump turns on.

I am currently running my sand filter pump 10 hrs a day.
My latest CYA level was 70. It is high due to using the trichlor pucks before I learned about the BBB process. I am currently converting from EZ pool to the BBB method.

Does not really matter as long as the FC never drops below the minimum for your CYA.
Many people prefer to add it in the evening so that the FC levels are higher over night before the losses to the sun start.

It doesn't matter a lot. There seems to be an idea that taking the sample a foot or so deep. I put the sample container in the pool upside as far as i can reach and turn it over to fill it.

The important part is to understand your pool's chlorine usage and to always keep it above minimum for your CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Always. So, add enough chlorine/bleach so that the chlorine level will be above minimum next time you add. Don't be nervous about taking the FC above target. It is safe to swim when FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.