Small leak from pump -- worry? Don't worry?

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
I seem to have a very small leak coming from my pump or the plumbing near it. I can't find the source. I know it's not one of the two plugs in the basket case (not sure that's the right term, but oh well) because the area near the plugs is dry.

Any ideas for finding the source? The area around my pump is slightly wet -- not enough water to form a puddle. Should I worry?

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_2699.jpg

Yes. Might be coming from the seal between the pump and the motor. Over time the housing of the motor will rust out and also the front bearing will be damaged. The bearing can be replaced, but the motor housing will require a replacement motor.

You can replace the seal yourself with common hand tools. The whole job might take 2 hours.

There are several You Tube videos showing the seal replacement.

- - - Updated - - -

You can replace the seal yourself with common hand tools. The whole job might take 2 hours.

There are several You Tube videos showing the seal replacement.

I just had mine replaced from a pool store and they charged $ 28

Though I did have 3 other small leaks (drain plug for sand filter needed tape, replaced a check valve and taped threads on multiport)

the total bill was just below 300 (he had to cut/make a new check valve fitting) but the pump seal was 28.

You should just call a good local shop and tell them you have a leak.

If they charge $ 97 an hour like my place does then I think total would be about $ 125

You definitely want that fixed. Any leak can become a huge problem potentially that might end up costing way more later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.