Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: water calcium lines after a week?!

1. Back To Top    #1

water calcium lines after a week?!

it's been about a week now with water. i'm lowering the water due to needing to touch up some pebble and fix the grout on the tile along with sealed the marbella today. i can't believe i already have water lines. i didn't think they'd bother me so went with the tile i wanted, cobalt blue. but, it does bother me, especially since it's the first week! i know we r just trying to figure out how to have a pool and have a salt pool that is low on salt. i will add salt tonight after i can walk on the sealer. the infloor wasn't set up for a few days after start-up and we have had them off so that they wouldn't wet the coping to seal the pool.

doesn't calcium build up on the walls mean i need to change the ph? tips for cleaning it off? its it much easier if we do it right away verses taking care of it later? i can't clean tile every week! thx!
    40' x 12' IG shotcrete (3 1/2' 5, 4'), Hayward variable spd pumpSP3400VSP, Paramount PV3 in-floor, venturi skimmer, 14,400 glns, Hayward Turbo salt cell T Cell-15, UV, Hayward DE filter, model DE4820, 2 Hayward Color Logic 320 LED color lights, Hayward P4 w puck. 2" line to in-floor valve (46'), deck mount canister parascoping fountain, leaf canister, Marbella, pebble. new build 6-24-15

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: water calcium lines after a week?!

use pool math to keep an eye on that Calcium Saturation Index CSI at the bottom. It's very dependent on pH and Calcium readings. If you filled with tap water, your Calcium is already very high. Your probably don't have a lot of salt in the water yet, which may get higher as you go along if you're using liquid chlorine.

Plus, with a new plaster pool, your pH is going to rise quickly. I'd shoot for 7.2. It'll be up to 7.4 within a day I bet. When I've been on top of the pH level, I notice the water line much less.

In this thread and the ear infection thread, you haven't posted a full set of test numbers yet. Did you get a testing kit?
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

What is your CH? How are you testing the water?

You likely have hard water and I know you have very high evaporation. Evaporation is always going to leave deposits on the water line. By keeping the pool balanced, I think you can reduce the amount, but some amount of deposits is inevitable.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

You have a new plaster pool in an area with high water evaporation. It would be unusual if your CH didn't go up. So what is your CH? You can expect to rise for a while because of the new plaster. AS Jason stated keep the ph low (7.2) and that will probably reduce any lines. Water features can be a problem. Keeping my ph low reduces my line to close to invisibility but I can see it.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

they weren't calcium lines. it was just probably some salt build up from the initial adding of salt to the pool? something crisp that had bubbled up on the water line. was easily removed by brushing and swimming. but while we r on the topic of testing, i always wondered about the test kit on this site. the pb gave us a testing kit with start up. this is what my test kit includes 4 indicator solutions:
    1. for bromine which doesn't apply to us
    2. ph
    3. acid demand and alkalinity test
    4. chlorine neutralizer
    5. total alkalinity test

the test bottle has a section to measure chorine and one to measure ph. we do the acid demand test to see how much ph to add. salt water pool.

what is CH? i'm going to have to start reading pool math.

i couldn't figure out why they added calcium at start up and i forget his scientific reasoning but he added a bag of powder calcium. he said it's only needed at start up. strange with the hard water we have in phoenix. h20 is 8 or 8.2 here i believe.

thx!
    40' x 12' IG shotcrete (3 1/2' 5, 4'), Hayward variable spd pumpSP3400VSP, Paramount PV3 in-floor, venturi skimmer, 14,400 glns, Hayward Turbo salt cell T Cell-15, UV, Hayward DE filter, model DE4820, 2 Hayward Color Logic 320 LED color lights, Hayward P4 w puck. 2" line to in-floor valve (46'), deck mount canister parascoping fountain, leaf canister, Marbella, pebble. new build 6-24-15

6. Back To Top    #6

You need to keep an eye on your pool chems, balance and be ready to use a pumice or what we used EarthStone Pool
    LINK PoolStone Ceramic Tile Cleaner - Pool Surface Scrubber

Works well, will help to remove any buildup you WILL get with our very hard water and evaporation.
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

7. Back To Top    #7

how did you get 230 posts and a new build without getting on board with pool chemistry and testing from day one!
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir