Stabilizer getting into pool through return jets

Mar 21, 2015
Chesterfield / mo
Hello all,
I am trying to figure out how stabilizer granules that I fed into the skimmers are ending up in the pool through the returns.
Somehow it seems to be bypassing the sand filter. I followed directions and added it slowly. Any ideas?
I have a Hayward sand filter, the water has been very clear, and the pool has been open for 1 month.
I have owned the pool for 3 years, and according to the previous owner, the sand should be 5 years old now.
I would appreciate any thoughts.

Just a guess... Adding the stabilizer to the skimmer and by virtue directly to the filter may have caused the sand to channelize due to flow restriction of the stabilizer in the filter. That still doesn't explain how it got through the laterals, but since you say the pool is "very clear" I suspect the filter is working properly most of the time. Even adding it slowly still means that it will sit on top of the sand in the filter since it dissolves so slowly.

The preferred method to add the stabilizer is to hang it in a sock in front of the returns or alternatively place the full sock in the skimmer. This will help it dissolve slowly and more efficiently.

If you can see it on the bottom, sweep or brush the pool often and don't backwash unless you have to or you will lose all your undissolved stabilizer.

Thanks for the response.
Would this indicate it is time to change the sand or perhaps "stir it up"?
I am beginning to think it may be time to tear it down and fully inspect.
BTW, I brushed the pool about 4 times to disperse the granuales, only to have them reappear each time (in smaller amounts) after they got to the main drain.
I sent in the robot in after that to clean the bottom.
I will use the sock method from here on.

If it happened within minutes of adding it, I'd say it could be a bad multiport valve bypassing the filter. If it took a little longer, you have a problem inside the filter. If there's no sand blowing out, it's not likely a broken lateral, which leaves clumped sand and channels between the clods.

The problem is, if you try a deep cleaning now, any undissolved stabilizer inside the filter will wash away and be wasted.

Too late now, but this sort of scenario is why we recommend the sock method in Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

By the way, those granules that are scattered around the floor of your pool could affect the liner and leave freckles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.