Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stabilizer getting into pool through return jets

1. Back To Top    #1

Stabilizer getting into pool through return jets

Hello all,
    I am trying to figure out how stabilizer granules that I fed into the skimmers are ending up in the pool through the returns.
    Somehow it seems to be bypassing the sand filter. I followed directions and added it slowly. Any ideas?
    I have a Hayward sand filter, the water has been very clear, and the pool has been open for 1 month.
    I have owned the pool for 3 years, and according to the previous owner, the sand should be 5 years old now.
    I would appreciate any thoughts.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stabilizer getting into pool through return jets

Just a guess... Adding the stabilizer to the skimmer and by virtue directly to the filter may have caused the sand to channelize due to flow restriction of the stabilizer in the filter. That still doesn't explain how it got through the laterals, but since you say the pool is "very clear" I suspect the filter is working properly most of the time. Even adding it slowly still means that it will sit on top of the sand in the filter since it dissolves so slowly.

The preferred method to add the stabilizer is to hang it in a sock in front of the returns or alternatively place the full sock in the skimmer. This will help it dissolve slowly and more efficiently.

If you can see it on the bottom, sweep or brush the pool often and don't backwash unless you have to or you will lose all your undissolved stabilizer.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response.
    Would this indicate it is time to change the sand or perhaps "stir it up"?
    I am beginning to think it may be time to tear it down and fully inspect.
    BTW, I brushed the pool about 4 times to disperse the granuales, only to have them reappear each time (in smaller amounts) after they got to the main drain.
    I sent in the robot in after that to clean the bottom.
    I will use the sock method from here on.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Could it be that the stabilizer is going thru your multiport valve? If your sand is okay, and pool clean then that's a possibility. Maybe the spider gasket is torn or popped out slightly?

5. Back To Top    #5

No need to change sand ever as long as it isn't glued together by clarifiers or other potions from the pool store.

Here is a procedure for Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Here is a page on Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them. Including that CYA should be added in a sock in the skimmer basket and not poured directly in.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

If it happened within minutes of adding it, I'd say it could be a bad multiport valve bypassing the filter. If it took a little longer, you have a problem inside the filter. If there's no sand blowing out, it's not likely a broken lateral, which leaves clumped sand and channels between the clods.

The problem is, if you try a deep cleaning now, any undissolved stabilizer inside the filter will wash away and be wasted.

Too late now, but this sort of scenario is why we recommend the sock method in Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

By the way, those granules that are scattered around the floor of your pool could affect the liner and leave freckles.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!