Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: leak in pipe from light in inground pool

1. Back To Top    #1

leak in pipe from light in inground pool

What is the best way to repair this problem. We recently had a hard freeze and have determined this is where the leak is. We have concrete decking around this area and our light is directly under the diving board. Thank you for your help.
    36,000 IG Vinyl, Aquarite Salt Generator, Sand Filter, Hayward 1 1/2 pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: leak in pipe from light in inground pool

When the conduit is broken under the deck what we do is pull the light out of the niche and set it on the deck (don't disconnect the wire). Then we pack 2 part epoxy into the conduit in the niche. Let the putty set for 12 hours making sure not to jiggle the wire so that you maintain a wetertight seal. Once the putty is set, pop the light back in and you're good to go
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

ours was leaking last year too....had it fixed this past spring. pool guys did the same thing as Waste said (packed with expoxy) i sure hope it holds. we are also in freezing temps too and i checked the water level about a month ago and so far so good (last year the water drained to just below the light)

good luck
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Hillsborough, NC

You shouldn't have any issues as long as it didn't start leaking immediately afterward. Epoxy is a great fix in this application.