Debbie-new pool owner 15

Jun 29, 2015
Cedar Hill, MO
Hello! I'm new here and about to have a new pool installed this Friday. I'm in MO about 40 miles southwest of St. Louis. I'm nervous (seriously) because my dad actually bought the pool, but it will be at my house and I'll take care of it. My dad & stepmom are older and they're looking to swim for exercise. My dad is a perfectionist so I have to get this right.

Other than putting water in the pool, I have no idea how to get started. I just ordered a T-100 test kit that should arrive on Wednesday or Thursday. I've been doing searches, but haven't yet found anything on starting from scratch. If someone can direct me, I'd really appreciate it. I've read most everything in Pool School already.

Thanks!

Hello Debbie and welcome! You did the most important thing already - ordering the TF-100! :goodjob: Once you receive it, we'll be glad to help answer any testing questions. A couple things to be ready for your new water:
- You will need stabilizer to add to your fresh water. It's sometimes called conditioner, and it's primary ingredient is Cyanuric Acid (CYA). You will want to add it to your fresh water right away by adding in an old sock and letting it hang in fornt of a return jet. Once dissolved, it takes about a week to show-up on your CYA test. You will use the Poolmath calculator to adjust to about 30 CYA (about 54 oz). You can get stabilizer at Wal-Mart.
- While that's happening, plan on adding just enough bleach to hold you at about 2-3 ppm of FC (free chlorine) - about 1/2 gallon each evening. Once the CYA increase to 30, you can increase the FC to its ideal target level.
- We will help you adjust PH and TA as well.

So relax, we have you covered. Once you get the test kit, let us know. Welcome! :wave:

- - - Updated - - -

In the meantime, please review the Pool School and other links you see below in my signature. They have everything there you need to know. Enjoy!

Thanks for the welcome! My pool package came with "a month's supply" of chlorine and the related items. (I don't actually have any of the stuff yet. It will get delivered later this week.) I'd like to use this stuff first since it came with the pool. Is it possible to start there and then switch over to the bleach & stuff? My main question, which is probably pretty common: at what point can we start swimming in the pool? Do I have to get all my numbers right, first?

Thanks!!

Who is going to get the site ready for the pool? THAT is a major thing right now.

You can save the chlorine stuff that is coming with the pool for times you go on weekend get aways and such.

Go ahead and buy your CYA (stabilizer) like talked about above. You can buy it at Walmart. It can be added as your fill the water!

As soon as your test kit (good choice!) gets there test your fill water. Don't bother doing the CYA test as that will have to be added.

Let us know your results and we can tell you the next step.

Have fun!

Kim

Before you swim, you do want to have a little free chlorine (FC) to sanitize the water, and also have your PH in the mid-7s to be safe and comfortable on your skin. If you have one of those starter test kits (plastic/glass vile w/ red drops solution) you can test the PH easily. If it needs to be adjusted, go to the Poolmath calculator (link below in my sig) and it will tell you what to add to adjust based on your NOW and TARGET values. Until your CYA increases and your real test kit arrives, simply add about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach to your water each evening as the sun goes down. The chlorine (FC) works best in the dark as it is not being burned-off by the sun. :sun: Hope that helps.

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

My TF-100 should arrive tomorrow. I've already read everything in Pool School along with a lot of other stuff. Since I still feel nervous (and I'm wondering if I really should have taken at least one Chem class in high school), I'll be reading much of it again. I learn better by example than by reading stuff so this is tough for me.

I saw a comment yesterday that fits me perfectly, "The more I read, the dumber I feel." Once I get to actually do stuff, I think (hope) I'll feel less anxious.

The site will be prepared by the contractor that's installing the pool. There was a pool on the same spot about 3 years ago (belonged to previous home owners) that was also a round so I'm thinking that's the easy part. {fingers crossed!}

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With our hose. Wow, just gave that a thought...wonder how long that will take.

My 16k gallon pool takes about 30 hours to fill with two hoses running. The typical garden hose at residential water pressure runs about 6-8GPM.

Is it well water or municipal/city water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, Debbie. Don't let that test kit intimidate you. It's only enemy is the pool store and the pool store is scared! A couple of years ago I breezed in to the pool store to replace a bad net. They did inquire about my pool so I told them I test and adjust it myself now. "Never better," I said. They wanted to check my work I guess and told me to bring in a sample. (Yeah, I'll get right on that!) So, I bought the net with the bent handle 'cuz it was cheaper.

I asked about the source water because of possible metal contamination. If it's a municipal source, then metals will likely be low. If it's a private well, then the water should be tested for metals.

The test kit has no metal test to it so you should plan accordingly. Most pool stores will test for iron and copper (as lousy at it as they may be) so if you have a well source you can bring a sample there. The better option for well water is having a private lab do the test. Some municipal water districts will conduct well testing for free but you'd have to call to find out if that option is available.

My 16k gallon pool takes about 30 hours to fill with two hoses running. The typical garden hose at residential water pressure runs about 6-8GPM.

Is it well water or municipal/city water?

Wow...so it's going to take a while to fill it. LOL...I have municipal water. Sorry for the delayed response. I was having trouble logging in. Weather was uncooperative so the pool is now scheduled to be installed tomorrow. The test kit has arrived. I'll be getting into it later today. I must admit...still feeling a bit intimidated by the thing, but I know I can get this done.

LOL...DebbieO, you go! I really didn't like those pool store guys at all...trying to make me feel dumb & all.

You can and should test your tap water just to get a fill of the test. Do not bother testing the CYA as there not be any.

Have you bought any CYA/Stabilizer yet? That and bleach are things you can and should go ahead and buy as you will need them right away!

Kim

Hello Debbie and welcome! You did the most important thing already - ordering the TF-100! :goodjob: Once you receive it, we'll be glad to help answer any testing questions. A couple things to be ready for your new water:
- You will need stabilizer to add to your fresh water. It's sometimes called conditioner, and it's primary ingredient is Cyanuric Acid (CYA). You will want to add it to your fresh water right away by adding in an old sock and letting it hang in fornt of a return jet. Once dissolved, it takes about a week to show-up on your CYA test. You will use the Poolmath calculator to adjust to about 30 CYA (about 54 oz). You can get stabilizer at Wal-Mart.
- While that's happening, plan on adding just enough bleach to hold you at about 2-3 ppm of FC (free chlorine) - about 1/2 gallon each evening. Once the CYA increase to 30, you can increase the FC to its ideal target level.
- We will help you adjust PH and TA as well.

So relax, we have you covered. Once you get the test kit, let us know. Welcome! :wave:

- - - Updated - - -

In the meantime, please review the Pool School and other links you see below in my signature. They have everything there you need to know. Enjoy!

So...I'm not sure what this means from above: "by adding in an old sock and letting it hang in fornt of a return jet". I was picturing dropping the hose in the pool and letting it go (for about 48 hours...blahh). How will this dissolve hanging in front of a return jet?

I'll be going to Walmart tomorrow morning to get bleach and stabilizer.

So...I'm not sure what this means from above: "by adding in an old sock and letting it hang in fornt of a return jet". I was picturing dropping the hose in the pool and letting it go (for about 48 hours...blahh). How will this dissolve hanging in front of a return jet?

I'll be going to Walmart tomorrow morning to get bleach and stabilizer.

After the pool is filled and after you turn on the pump. Once you do that, then you need to add stabilizer, get chlorine bleach in the water and adjust the pH.

Stabilizer is a solid granular product that dissolves slowly and can take up to 7 days to show up on your CYA test. Best method of addition is to add the needed amount of stabilizer to a sock or old nylon legging and hang in front of a return so the water flow can help it dissolve. You do not dump the granular powder directly into the pool water.

There is also liquid stabilizer but it is a lot more expensive and only provides 30% CYA per volume added. Granular stabilizer should be 99% CYA.

After the pool is filled and after you turn on the pump. Once you do that, then you need to add stabilizer, get chlorine bleach in the water and adjust the pH.

Stabilizer is a solid granular product that dissolves slowly and can take up to 7 days to show up on your CYA test. Best method of addition is to add the needed amount of stabilizer to a sock or old nylon legging and hang in front of a return so the water flow can help it dissolve. You do not dump the granular powder directly into the pool water.

There is also liquid stabilizer but it is a lot more expensive and only provides 30% CYA per volume added. Granular stabilizer should be 99% CYA.

Got it. Thanks very much!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support