Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Add Robotic cleaner to pool with in-floor cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Austin, TX

Add Robotic cleaner to pool with in-floor cleaner

Hello new to site and I have a few questions about robotic cleaners. My pools is 2 years old and I am using Paramount in-floor PV3 clear and it does a great job cleaning dirt and debris from the pool. This spring we had heavy rains and wind in Austin, TX and I have heavy wooded area behind our pool. This system has been outstanding keeping the pool clean. I run it twice a day 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours at night. I will turn on when swimming if I see grass/mulch/dirt in pool. It will clean quickly.

So I have zero complaints about this system, however, I know there is an additional energy cost to run this cleaner. It runs on an independent Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump. The water flow and pressure from the jets is strong however I still brush more often thinking there is nothing “scrubbing” especially the walls (jets on bottom of pool and stairs pop up like sprinkler heads).

I have new job and traveling all week and less time to maintain weekdays. So thinking about adding a robotic cleaner in addition to in-floor cleaner (split time).

· Use less energy not running extra pump 8+hours a day
    · Will help with cleaning walls – less brushing, fighting algae from time to time (found this site and moved to bleach, better test kit etc and that has greatly helped)
    · Still getting water bugs (ones that skim across top of pool) every now and then – been a battle this year.
    · Family forgets to brush walls, would this be easier for wife to maintain while I am traveling.
    · Pools is in full sun from 11 AM to sunset 8PM. Gunite shell with pebblesheen

Then the big question – if yes add robotic cleaner then which one. Looking at the Dolphin Z5 based on reading forms but open to suggestions.

Water is clear and doing well:
    FC = 3.5
    CC = .25
    TC = 3.75 (switched to bleach, Pool Store pucks creating issues)
    PH = 7.5
    TA = 110
    CYA = 50
    CH = 350 (was over 700 drained 50% to lower and then no more pucks)

Test kit is TF100
    18k IG Gunite Pebblesheen, 512 sqft, 36' x 22' (4x5x6 depth), Pentair Intelliflo VS 3050, Pentair Quad DE 80, Paramount UV,
    Paramount InFloor Cleaner PV3, Flagstone Coping and raised beam w/ 3 ribbon fountains,
    SPA not attached: Dimension One Spa Amore Bay 108"x92"x40" 415g 5 pump system -

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Add Robotic cleaner to pool with in-floor cleaner

If I did it again I would have gone with the Z5 instead of the M5. I just didn't get much fo rthe extra money.

The thing I would be concerned with would be if both were running at the same time and the robot damaged one of the pop up heads.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon