Salt test low

Muguk

May 15, 2015
Lincoln
I installed the pool 8 days ago. Pool math calculator said to add 217 lb of salt for 8640 gallon (using the manufacturer's stated volume). I added 200 lb of solar salt from HD. I tested the salt yesterday using the Aqua Check Salt Strips from TFTestkits.net. The indicator on the strip was just above 1. Expectation would be around 5. Strip was placed in a clean glass and water sampled elbow deep. I waited 5 minutes, 10 minutes, left in for 30 minutes observing changes.

Not sure if I did the test wrong, I am reading the results wrong, or the strips are bad. The SWG is not complaining about the salt level. My options are to add salt, purchase another test method, or do nothing. Suggestions?

FC - 4
PH - 7.5
CYA - added 3 lb, have not tested yet
TA - 210 (have done one round of lowering with muratic)
CH - 220

Mark

If the SWG is working fine then I would not worry about it too much. A better test for salt is the K1766 salt test that is linked in my signature.

Also if you do get a low salt alarm before adding salt check the cell to see if it needs to be cleaned first. I learned this the hard way a couple years ago and had ocean water...lol

It takes at least 24 hours with the pump running for salt to dissolve. A little brushing will help too. Give it 48 hours and see what the SWG says. If it is happy and making chlorine then we are all happy. Also, salt tests are +/- 400 ppm.

Thanks for the suggestions. The salt measurement was taken 8 days after the salt was introduced to the pool. The "1" reading on the strips equates to less than 400 ppm, whereas the "5" is closer to 3000 ppm. So, the strips say there is no salt in the pool. I am leaning towards Lisa's suggestion of do nothing at this point. I will look into the K 1766 test, although it is frustrating to have purchased such pricey strips that appear to not work well.

First, your TA is way to high, should be 100ppm max for SWG pools. 3lbs CYA should get your reading to 45ppm which is okay for SW pool. Each one has their opinion concerning products to maintain pools, but I bought a K-1766 salt kit, and it registered 800-900ppm too high in salt content. My SWG kept the red light on for low salt, I got new Aqua Check salt water strips, as my old strips were out of date, and would not read. and added salt according to the strip settings and the low salt light went out. I have found out that strips kept in a controlled setting will last much longer toward reading salt content. Also, Morton Solar Salt put in the shallow end an brushed back and forth with a pool brush will dissipate in a few minutes, wait for pool turnover before checking salt content. Just work at it, and the pool will come to you!

If you dosed a certain amount of salt, that is what your salt is.

In other words, if you calculated your salt dosage to get to 3,000 ppm, then that's what it is regardless of ANY test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.