Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deck Addition

1. Back To Top    #1

Deck Addition

We are adding on to our deck today so we can get in and out easier on our above ground pool. The dilemma I have is setting the deck board. Above the rim cap or below it. I see a lot of designs with the deck boards under the cap but am afraid if I do that the kids will stand them causeing damage to it. But then if I have to replace the liner I will have to remove all the deck boards to get the caps off. Hmm any pros or cons either way?
    28' Above Ground Pool, 20,000 Gallons
    Sand Filter"
    Model #AC16985
    Pool built in July 2012
    Clinton, Iowa

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Deck Addition

This is almost like asking which car is better (chevy-vs-ford) Both ways have their +'s and -'s. I did mine over the cap as I did not want the metal top rails damaged like what happened on a friends pool (his are under/even). I built my deck as a modular so the sections can be moved back when I need to replace the liner.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Deck Addition

Yea I was doing the pros and cons. More expensive to replace the pool because my kids do not listen so we went with going over the top. Yes it will be painstaking to pull up the boards but it is not an every year project so be it.
    28' Above Ground Pool, 20,000 Gallons
    Sand Filter"
    Model #AC16985
    Pool built in July 2012
    Clinton, Iowa