No Chlorine in pool

If you still have visible algae, then I would think that you are not finished SLAMMING. I am fairly new here and finished my first SLAM in April, but I would be very leary of stopping the SLAM if you can still see algae. Perhaps some more experience can pipe in.

pabeader and Pogueld, thanks, I let me anxiousness get in my way. I was hopeful, but I knew there is still something wrong. Unfortunately I am working under time constraints now and won't be able to devote the same attention to the pool as before. I had to order some more reagent because I am running low, and I can't believe how tenacious the algae on the walls is. I certainly appreciate the moral support. I am still slamming. I'll take another reading tonight after I add more chlorine to the pool. I'll have to check it at 4:00 am before I go to work to see how things are moving along. I'm going to re-read OCLT process. Thanks.

Just do the best you can! It was hard for me when I slammed. I was working full time, running kids around at night and my
Hubby works a weird schedule. Soooo, if I had to be gone, I would add bleach up to mustard shock level before I left the house for work. As soon as I got home, I would test and add bleach to bring back up to slam. I brushed or had a kid brush - EVERY DAY. When I was home I would check my FC every hour and make sure it stayed at slam level. Before I went to bed I would bring the FC back up to mustard shock (until my FC loss started getting better). I was as diligent as I could possibly be and it was HARD.

But soooooo worth it now!! Don't give up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I was wrong. I added chlorine to the pool last night and took a reading an hour later. At 9:00 pm my FC was 14 ppm. This morning, 4:00 am my FC was at 11.5 ppm. You live and learn.

Thanks to everyone for hanging in there with me and thanks for the encouragement Pogueld.

Going out to brush the pool. Have a great day!

You are doing great! Just do the best you can with keeping up the FC. Brushing is very important so if you only have a few minutes, test and get the FC up, then make sure to brush the offending area. Even if it's only a few swipes. It can make a big difference.

Good morning!

So I started at 3:30 am brushing the pool. I was going to change the filter, but it's too dark to see. I started testing the water around 3:45 am, but before that, last night, I added bleach at 8:00 PM. I took a reading at 9:15 PM and got an FC @ 12.5 ppm. (Yes, then I went to bed!) :D

This morning my results were:

FC 12.0 ppm This is what I read this morning (last night, as diligently as I could, I counted 25 drops of R-0871 @ 10 ml mark. 25 * 0.5 = 12.5 ppm FC)
CC 0.5 ppm No real visible sign of color change so much less than 0.5 in reality
pH 7.7
TA 90 ppm
CH 190 ppm added another pound of Calcium Chloride
CYA ~30
Temp 78

attachment.php

So I did not add any bleach this morning. I'll be able to come back and check the level around 9:00 am.

- - - Updated - - -

Good morning!

So I started at 3:30 am brushing the pool. I was going to change the filter, but it's too dark to see. I started testing the water around 3:45 am, but before that, last night, I added bleach at 8:00 PM. I took a reading at 9:15 PM and got an FC @ 12.5 ppm. (Yes, then I went to bed!) :D

This morning my results were:

FC 12.0 ppm This is what I read this morning (last night, as diligently as I could, I counted 25 drops of R-0871 @ 10 ml mark. 25 * 0.5 = 12.5 ppm FC)
CC 0.5 ppm No real visible sign of color change so much less than 0.5 in reality
pH 7.7
TA 90 ppm
CH 190 ppm added another pound of Calcium Chloride
CYA ~30
Temp 78

attachment.php

So I did not add any bleach this morning. I'll be able to come back and check the level around 9:00 am.

Attachments

• 4AM.jpg
    4AM.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 188

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last night I must have slipped. I can't figure out why my FC level was so low. At 9:00 PM FC 8.5 ppm. Really bothered me. I was adding the correct amounts of Bleach throughout the day, but the level was very low when I checked it for the final time last night. So I bumped it back up to 12 ppm +.

This morning:

FC 12.5 ppm
CC 0.5 (much less than)
CH 210 ppm
temp 80

Have to try again today. Going to brush. Have a good day.

Oh how did I miss this? :( What a great "lesson" on why NOT to use pool stores!

Soloman, Have you taken the light out? What about looking REAL close at the door and all around your skimmer and return eyeballs. These are two areas that can help algae hide from you and the chlorine. It is tricky stuff. It grows a "shell" that protects it from the chlorine.

You are doing such a great job! Do you still have the green pics? They did not show up on that post. I can see the pretty pics. and man they ARE pretty!

Hugs!

Kim

Thanks Kim,

The story of solo is this. My cat was named Solo. He died last year at the age of 19. My wife and I found him in the woods outside her house. And she aptly named named him Solo. And when I would come home at night I would yell out for so Solo-man, and he would come running. So the name Soloman is in honor of him.

First of all thank you for the kind words I think I'm about ready to pass out. And I'm really pleased with this website and all of the help that I've gotten from people along the way. And I'm also very pleased with the way the pool looks right now.

So yes, I'm going to pull the light out and check all the places you mentioned. And probably bump it up to mustard algae strength pronto.

I'll put the pics back up when I get more storage space.

Very Kind,

Thank you!

No need to bump up to Mustard level. Just keep it at or just a little bit above if you are going to be out of the house for a little bit SLAM level.

I love the story on Soloman. All of our cats have stories behind how they came to live at our house. Most start out sad but once they are here it is a happy ending.

Kim

Starting pool after refilling:
attachment.php

I wasn't able to change the cartridge filters for 48 hours, and this is how they looked today before cleaning. No Algae
attachment.php

Attachments

• After Refill.jpg
    After Refill.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMAG0116.jpg
    IMAG0116.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 120

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.