SLAM in process, questions!

Jun 29, 2015
Apopka, FL
Hello TFP Experts! I'm looking for some information/advice regarding my ongoing SLAM. I have read the Pool School info and the SLAM process information as well as purchased the TF100 testing kit.

I initially set up my pool with a SWG but have stopped using it. I decided to do a SLAM because my water turned cloudy and would not hold chlorine. I began the process on Friday morning. I have been testing just about every hour during the day. My water is currently clear and upon testing this morning, the CC level was .5, however my overnight chlorine loss is very high! I have had to add at least 2 cups of chlorine upon each hourly test, and this morning I had lost 5ppm overnight.

Additionally, it's been extremely hot (upper 90s) with no rain for quite a while and I'm losing water to evaporation. I'll need to add water to the pool very soon to continue running the filter.

Here are my test results, taken just now, 2.5 hours after adding bleach this morning at 7am:

FC: 20
CC: barely over .5, one drop left the water with the barest tinge of pink
CYA: 50
Ca: 200
TA: 154
pH: 7.6

My concern is that adding water at this point is going to throw a kink in the process and I'm wondering if there's anything I should know before I do. I'm also concerned about the dramatic continued chlorine loss even though the water has been clear for two days.

Any insight you might have to share would be much appreciated! Thank you!

You are doing everything correctly. The addition of water won't throw the SLAM off.

PH tests are not accurate when your FC is 10 or higher. You only need to test FC and CC during the SLAM.

Even though CC has dropped, which is good does not mean your FC usage will drop right away. Keep at it and you will notice that it will start holding FC better.

You are doing everything correctly. The addition of water won't throw the SLAM off.

PH tests are not accurate when your FC is 10 or higher. You only need to test FC and CC during the SLAM.

Even though CC has dropped, which is good does not mean your FC usage will drop right away. Keep at it and you will notice that it will start holding FC better.

Great, thanks for the reassurance that I'm on the right path!

I would check the ladder carefully if it's still in the pool. Ladders provide lots of hiding places for algae. A backwash might not be a bad idea, either. And debris in the filter will consume FC as it tries to oxidize it away. Adding water will have minimal effect on chemistry. People with swamps have to add a lot to make up what they lose by hourly backwashes.

I would check the ladder carefully if it's still in the pool. Ladders provide lots of hiding places for algae. A backwash might not be a bad idea, either. And debris in the filter will consume FC as it tries to oxidize it away. Adding water will have minimal effect on chemistry. People with swamps have to add a lot to make up what they lose by hourly backwashes.

Thanks, Richard! Backwashed the filter and in the process of adding water. Appreciate your advice!

Well, I had to be away for most of today. So I brought the FC level up to shock this morning and just tested it again and I've lost 8.5 FC during the day. I can't understand how I'm ever going to get my FC loss under control at this point if my normal recommended FC level is between 4-8 and I'm losing 8.5 FC during an average day My CC is within acceptable limits, the water is crystal, but it is just not holding Chlorine. I've used an incredible amount of bleach at this point!

If there is no more algae hiding and the water is clear, you need to worry about the overnight loss test, not what it loses during the day. Your CYA is too low for the FC level you're maintaining. You're in the SLAM, not daily maintenance. That's way hiogher than normal levels. When it passes the OCLT, then you can allow FC to drop and raise CYA and everything will be smooth.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.