Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

My numbers

Hi everyone. I love this site!
    Here's my story. My numbers since getting my TF100 have been great. Did a quick slam a few weeks ago and have had beautiful water since. I went away for a few days over the weekend and before I left I added a few chlorine pucks to the floater. I left my filter running while I was gone. Of course this weekend it rained cats and dogs.
    FC-3
    CC-0
    TA-70
    PH-7.5
    CYA-30ish

Pool math is telling me to add 42oz bleach which is no problem at all. It also wants me to add 33 oz baking soda.
    My question is do I really have to add the baking soda? My pool doesn't like high PH. It hates it. I actually like to keep it around 7.2. I know if I add the soda my Ph will go up and then I'll be playing with muriatic acid.
    So, should I skip the baking soda? Perhaps only add 16oz and see what happens?
    What do you think?
    Thanks for the help!
    Anne
    24 foot round 52 inches AGP
    14,200 gallons of water
    Hayward cartridge filter
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: My numbers

Only add the bleach. Skip the baking soda.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Poolmath is only telling you what you ask it to.

The target for TA is 70-90+. If you're below 70, pick a target somewhere above and let it tell you how much baking soda to add. If you're at or above 70, change your target to match your TA. Voila! Poolmath says.. add nothing! If your pool's pH stabilizes at 60 TA, tell poolmath to stick it and use 60 as your target - or just ignore the recommendation.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Got it, just didn't want to mess up.
    Thank you!
    24 foot round 52 inches AGP
    14,200 gallons of water
    Hayward cartridge filter
    TF-100 test kit