Test kits are vital, ...but...

My apologies to everyone. This is a what if. My pool and test kit are fine.

I'm just wondering why so many threads advise to do nothing and wait, instead of "Hey when in doubt add liquid chlorine for the size of your pool (and assume some generalities about PH and CYA?)

Because there are no generalities, NONE... every pool is differant, every person taking care of said pool has added something differant...

example: Both do not have a test kit and are asking: How much chlorine do I add?

you use general ph of 7.2 and CYA of 50

owner 1 owner 2
ph6.4 ph 8.2
CYA 0 CYA 100
FC 0 FC0
20,000gal 12,000gal

you would need to tell them the following
Bleach
4 gallons 2 gallons

But this is really what they need
bleach
2 gallons 5.5 gallons

Do you see how far of you are?? this is a week before they get a good test kit. Imagine if they never get one???
Owner 1 probably bleached out there liner and wasted bleach because they used too much, 14 gallons over 7 days to much
and owner 2 wasted 2 gallons a bleach a day because they really needed 5.5 per day at that CYA level... They also needed to empty 60% of their water

I didnt even go into PH and what is needed to fix that...

When it does not work or something bad happens they will blame us for giveing them the wrong info..

flip the example :)

someones car wont start, they have no idea... you tell them to buy another battery, then alternator, then an ignition, then a new car... it was a blown fuse.... how much did you just cost them for a 50 cent fuse???????

Agreed.
You don't cook without the ingredients, recipes and tools. Remember the first time you cooked something? You probably threw it away and went out to eat. If you ask someone for a recipe to make lasagna do you want to hear turn on the oven to whatever sounds good, throw some pasta in the pan add some meat and a few handfuls of herbs and some kind of sauce and chunk it in the oven for a while.

The reason people think they can maintain pools without the right tools is because they do not know better.

Can you dig a hole without a shovel? Yes. It will take you a month if you use your hands or 2 weeks if you use a spoon. Or order a shovel, get it in 2 days and dig the hole in one day. People who know how to dig a hole will tell you to order a shovel. People who want a hole now and don't know how to dig a hole will grab a stick and start digging. It might eventually get done but it is not the best way to do it. People on TFP will not tell you all the ways you could possibly dig a hole. They will tell you the best way to dig a hole, the same way they dig holes, right the first time.

Nobody at TFP is telling anyone to do anything any differently than we all do at home with our own personal pools with our own kids and grandkids swimming in them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.