Zero Chlorine

Jun 29, 2015
West hills
Hello, just purchased a new home with a pool. The current pool guy has maintained the pool for years and I went ahead and hired him to continue weekly visits. Last week my niece needed to do a science experiment and took some pool water to Leslie's for testing. The store said zero chlorine all other chemicals were in relatively good range, PH was slightly low. The pool looks sparkling clean and I saw my pool guy clean, add water, dump chemicals in the pool and replace chlorine tabs that morning. Concerned I took water to another Leslie location and got the same zero reading. I talked to my pool guy to report the zero reading and he was very surprised said the results where wrong the pool has chlorine in it. Concerned with my young children swimming in a pool with no chlorine. Could there be zero chlorine and no algae even after several days of zero chlorine. As a new pool owner with limited experience not sure who to trust. Thanks for any insight!

Welcome to TFP!

Several issues here to address. First is that pool store testing is notoriously unreliable. You are at the mercy of whoever might be doing the test and it could be someone who was just hired yesterday that has no prior experience managing pools. Second issue is that I would want to know what your pool guy is dumping into the pool. I have followed TFP practices for four seasons now and the only two chemicals I use on a regular basis is plain unscented liquid bleach for chlorination along with an occasional addition of muriatic acid to keep pH in check.

If you want to take control of your pool, You will need one of the Recommended Test Kits to properly manage your pool. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping. If you want to really do the right thing, I would order one of these test kits today.

While you are waiting for your kit to arrive, here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Chlorine CYA Chart
3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Recommended Levels
5. Pool Math

Welcome to the forum!

Bo has set you right, so there isn't much to add. This could be a really great project for her while helping the family at the same time. The potential for a great experience is very high, and I hope you'll take this on for everyone involved.

There are 3 types of chlorine that can be measured.
TC (Total Chlorine) this is what is measured with the OTO test kit. It just doesn't give you enough information.
FC (Free Chlorine) this is the chlorine that is available to oxidize all the bad stuff in the water.
CC (Combined Chlorine)
FC + CC = TC

Most likely the pool guy is measuring TC & Leslie's is measuring FC & CC. As stated above if you want to take control of the pool you'll need to get one of the recommended test kits. The TF-100 & SpeedStir are both highly recommended. The XL Option includes enough chemicals to last 2 seasons.

Welcome to TFP :wave:, All your questions were answered.

What I might add to what Mike1162 said is that the CC is chlorine that has done it's job killing the bad stuff. The problem with pool store or test strips is they tell you the TC. You have no way of knowing how much FC you have to attack the bad things and how much has already done that.

I agree I think a test kit WOULD be a great learning tool. The plus is, YOU would know what your pool has in it and what it needs. That way you could keep tabs on what your pool guy is doing.(if you decide to keep using him)

The big upside in my opinion is once you know how to keep your pool sparkling and clean, is I believe you may realize, you don't need him anymore. It's really that easy (and extra bucks in your pocket):goodjob:

I don't know what you're paying your pool guy, but I spend approximately $1.50 per day to keep my pool in check. $1.00 of chlorine daily (1/2 gallon of 10% bleach at $2.00 per gallon), then a maximum of $3.50 in other chemicals every Saturday (to adjust pH, TA and only occasionally adding CYA).

That's $45 per month.

Back before I kicked the pool store habit, I was spending no less than $60 per weekend to get my BalancePak/Algaecide/Clarifier "bump". Sometimes it was as much as $180. And I had no idea what I was putting in my pool or why, other than that the "experts" said it's what I needed. Oh, and I still dealt with blooms of mustard algae and green algae at least twice a season. Each.

I had never seen my pool sparkle until after joining TFP and SLAMing my pool (in fact, I thought there was something wrong with my pool the first time I saw it...). Nor did I realize there was a Hayward logo imprinted on my main drain (8.5ish feet down). In fact, I can clearly see that the screws securing my main drain are #2 Phillips heads.

Wow - That's quite the difference in cost! I am a new TFP convert and I love the confidence of knowing I'm in control of my pool.

Good luck in taking control of your pool!

I don't know what you're paying your pool guy, but I spend approximately $1.50 per day to keep my pool in check. $1.00 of chlorine daily (1/2 gallon of 10% bleach at $2.00 per gallon), then a maximum of $3.50 in other chemicals every Saturday (to adjust pH, TA and only occasionally adding CYA).

That's $45 per month.

Back before I kicked the pool store habit, I was spending no less than $60 per weekend to get my BalancePak/Algaecide/Clarifier "bump". Sometimes it was as much as $180. And I had no idea what I was putting in my pool or why, other than that the "experts" said it's what I needed. Oh, and I still dealt with blooms of mustard algae and green algae at least twice a season. Each.

I had never seen my pool sparkle until after joining TFP and SLAMing my pool (in fact, I thought there was something wrong with my pool the first time I saw it...). Nor did I realize there was a Hayward logo imprinted on my main drain (8.5ish feet down). In fact, I can clearly see that the screws securing my main drain are #2 Phillips heads.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.