Restricting Water Flow

Sep 2, 2008
I have a dedicated 1.5hp pump for my waterfalls but when it's allowed to flow completely freely, the noise from the water it so loud that it makes it hard to hear anyone talking. I guess we're a victim of our own success. I did learn that I can reduce the water flow via the valves which not only helps with the volume but is also more aesthetically pleasing to look at. My concern is, if I lower the allowable volume of water through the pipes, is it causing any harm to the pump? I'd say the water flow is roughly 70% what it previously was, so not a dramatic reduction but none-the-less enough to make me wonder.

If this pic works, it's the water running unimpeded. A little too much volume and noise.
LKL1Lgf6L2E7iVOSawPpA0AvrvuADwF3MCy1puCHuTjr=w1024-h768-no

No, reducing the water flow through the pump actually reduces the load and strain on the pump. As long as there is water flowing through the pump to help with cooling, the pump is fine.

Forgot to mention that you should only restrict (i.e. throttle) the pressure side of the pump. Never restrict the suction side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.