Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Restricting Water Flow

1. Back To Top    #1

Restricting Water Flow

I have a dedicated 1.5hp pump for my waterfalls but when it's allowed to flow completely freely, the noise from the water it so loud that it makes it hard to hear anyone talking. I guess we're a victim of our own success. I did learn that I can reduce the water flow via the valves which not only helps with the volume but is also more aesthetically pleasing to look at. My concern is, if I lower the allowable volume of water through the pipes, is it causing any harm to the pump? I'd say the water flow is roughly 70% what it previously was, so not a dramatic reduction but none-the-less enough to make me wonder.

If this pic works, it's the water running unimpeded. A little too much volume and noise.
    New Pool: 22 x 35 | StoneScape Mini - Midnight Blue | ~17,500 gallons | Jandy Equipment - Built spring 2015 (click for details and pictures)
    Old Pool: 16 x 30 | QuartzBrite | 14,000 gallons | Pentair Equipment - Built summer of 2013 (click for details and pictures)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Restricting Water Flow

No, reducing the water flow through the pump actually reduces the load and strain on the pump. As long as there is water flowing through the pump to help with cooling, the pump is fine.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    No, reducing the water flow through the pump actually reduces the load and strain on the pump. As long as there is water flowing through the pump to help with cooling, the pump is fine.
    That's terrific news. Thank you.
    New Pool: 22 x 35 | StoneScape Mini - Midnight Blue | ~17,500 gallons | Jandy Equipment - Built spring 2015 (click for details and pictures)
    Old Pool: 16 x 30 | QuartzBrite | 14,000 gallons | Pentair Equipment - Built summer of 2013 (click for details and pictures)

4. Back To Top    #4

Forgot to mention that you should only restrict (i.e. throttle) the pressure side of the pump. Never restrict the suction side.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

The valves are located in the ground behind the waterfall, so I'm clear. But good advice, thank you.