DE coming out of returns (sand filter)

May 4, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Been fighting a cloudy pool for awhile. When nearly 2 weeks of slamming didn't help, I deep cleaned the sand filter. Before I could get back on it though, I left town and my pool went green, and I ended up having to change about 40% of my water due to a now high CYA level (long story short, someone put dichlor in my pool while I was gone).

Been running at SLAM level now for a few days, and the pool is still cloudy. So I just performed the "add DE to a sand filter" procedure outlined in pool school (hadn't readded since the water change). In under a minute I watched the DE come right back out of the returns. 2 cups used to raise my psi by a pound, and now it's only added about half that.

Also, I performed the deep clean of my sand filter a few weeks ago, and noticed my filter is running consistently at 8 psi (down from the 10-12 I used to run at). Had to add sand while I was in there too because the level was low.

Any thoughts on the low-pressure/DE coming out of my returns/perpetually cloudy pool? Spider gasket maybe?

I am also thinking the pipe or laterals have a crack or such. I wonder if when you did the deep clean your hose hit something and cracked it?

I hate to say this :( but you might want to take your sand out and look at your filter guts. We had one member that had a tiny chip on the top of their pipe and it caused problems.

Kim

Thanks, I could check that out this weekend.

I forgot to mention : back before I deep cleaned the filter, I was noticing back then that I was getting dirt from my returns when I vacuumed to filter instead of to waste. Could that have been the laterals, even though I had never opened the filter before that?

It all depends..............more pressure while vacuuming? I really don't know the answer to that.

We had one member that had never opened or cleaned her sand filter BUT some how her laterals were FULL of sand and had broken almost off of the pipe.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.