Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pumping out water to lower level

1. Back To Top    #1

Pumping out water to lower level

I am trying to pump out some water to lower it below my sundeck (2 step levels) so I can spray on no-slip spray. I hooked up a hose to the hose bib on the pump. Turned on the pump and all is great down to the first step. Then went to go below the second step level and then it goes below the skimmer line and below the intake for the main drain shut off something or other (Once the water level gets too low, I think it triggers a ? the earth magnet) so no water flows through the main drain. So I hooked up my skimmer hose and turned on only that skimmer (water is below the skimmer intakes). The water comes in very slowly, it would take days to get down one step level. Does this all sound right? I dont want to go buy a pump but is that my only way? As an aside, I have noticed a lot of water now in 3 places behind my liner! Before this, there was none. We have had a LOT of rain and flooding so assume its all coming from the ground outside in with the lower water pressure/level.
    23k gal in-ground gunite w/ spa/blower, Sheer descent, Jandy AquaPure SWCG, Pentair 2HP Pump x2, Raypak P-R406A-EN-C 399k BTU gas heater, Polaris 380/Polaris PB4-60 Pump, DE filter w/ separation tank

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pumping out water to lower level

You can't break the laws of physics. As soon as the pump can draw air, it will, and you will stop pumping water. You need to rent or buy or borrow a submersible pump.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm going to buy an $80 submersible pump. But it can suck water. I have the main drain and second skimmer off and one skimmer one with the skimmer hose attached and in the pool. But, it just doesn't seem to "pull" water with any great force.
    23k gal in-ground gunite w/ spa/blower, Sheer descent, Jandy AquaPure SWCG, Pentair 2HP Pump x2, Raypak P-R406A-EN-C 399k BTU gas heater, Polaris 380/Polaris PB4-60 Pump, DE filter w/ separation tank

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by friguy3 View Post
    I'm going to buy an $80 submersible pump. But it can suck water. I have the main drain and second skimmer off and one skimmer one with the skimmer hose attached and in the pool. But, it just doesn't seem to "pull" water with any great force.
    No, it won't, because the skimmer well is probably empty and air can get in past the connector.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

The hose is stuck in the hole though. With the pump on, its tight, makes so much suction I can't easily pull it out. Weird.