Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to balance my pool in 5 days- advice please...

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to balance my pool in 5 days- advice please...

I was away from home for a couple of months and asked a friend to keep adding 2-3 gallons of bleach every 2 weeks in my absence. When I returned at the start of this month, there was some algae forming in the pool. I added 3 gallons immediately and it cleared up. Two weeks later, it was again changing color so I added another 3 gallons of liquid Chlorine. I observed some algae forming yesterday and did a quick Chlorine & pH test. PH was high and there appeared no Chlorine so I added 3 more gallons this morning. I should have done complete chemistry test sooner but was lazy/busy and kept delaying it. WI tried to run tests this morning, numbers seemed out of whack so I took my water sample to Leslie's. Here are their results:

Free Available Chlorine: 10
    Total Available Chlorine: 10
    Cyanuric Acid: 18
    Total Alkilinity: 170
    pH: 9
    TDS: 3,000
    Phosphates: 200

They advised first fixing the TA by adding 1 Qt of Muriatic Acid and allowing Chlorine to burn for a couple of days before doing anything else.

I have grand kids visiting next Saturday and want to make sure the pool will be safe for them to enjoy. Please advise what steps do I need to take to have our pool ready for their use.

Thank you.

PS. My filter pressure gauge shows no pressure when the pump is running. My filter cartridges are 3 years old and I have ordered new ones to arrive in a couple of days. Wonder if it is a faulty pressure gauge or torn filter cartridges. I'll find out when I have the new filters on hand.
    18K gal in ground, Plaster, three 1 HP WhisperFlo WFE-4 pumps (Pool, Hot Tub, Waterfall), 320 sq ft cartridge filters, MiniMax Plus HP 400 heater, TF-100 test kit, Kreepy Krauly Classic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Need to balance my pool in 5 days- advice please...

TF test kit is correct.
    Post the numbers you got from it.

Folks will help you much better that way.

You are going to need to SLAM the pool. Read up on it. The most important part is the M for Maintain!!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, please post the TF100 test results. Pool store test results are far too inconsistent and unreliable.

You can get a very nice oil filled pressure gauge for 11 bucks from TFTestkits.net.

Adding 2-3 gallons of chlorine every few days is not a good methodology for keeping your pool sanitized.

PH of 9 is way off. The PH test is not valid when FC is above 10. Test it with the TF100 next time FC is below 10 and add muriatic acid to lower it to 7.2. It could take several additions. Also, test CYA and add enough to get it to 30ppm in a sock and put it in the skimmer. Squeeze it a few times per day to speed the dissolving.

Once PH is 7.2 and CYA is added to 30ppm then SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool to get rid of the algae.

Once the SLAM is complete and all three criteria are passed then let the chlorine level drop. When maintaining your pool it is important to keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8. It is also important to keep chlorine at the target level for your CYA according to the Chlorine CYA Chart. If chlorine drops below the minimum then the pool is not sanitary and algae will grow.

It is safe to swim when:
    Ph is 7.2 to 7.8
    Chlorine is between minimum and shock level
    Water is clear
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for advice. I'll order the gauge. My TFT kit results are below. I'm puzzled to see the huge difference in Chlorine between the results of this morning and evening. How could that much Chlorine burn in a day?

FC: 4.5
    CC: 1
    TC: 5.5
    pH: 8.5
    T/A: 160
    CH: 240
    CYA: Below 20 (Couldn't measure because there was no change in visibility of the black dot even after the whole bottle was emptied in it).

As I understand, I'll start with Muriatic Acid to lower the pH and simultaneously work on getting CYA up in the range before SLAMing the pool.

I may come back for more advice as I progress. Thanks a bunch again.
    18K gal in ground, Plaster, three 1 HP WhisperFlo WFE-4 pumps (Pool, Hot Tub, Waterfall), 320 sq ft cartridge filters, MiniMax Plus HP 400 heater, TF-100 test kit, Kreepy Krauly Classic cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Not having CYA in the pool will let the sun burn off the chlorine faster, CYA protects chlorine from the sun. Also, with CC of 1 there could be algae or organic material in the pool also consuming chlorine. Sure, come back for more!
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Don't forget to brush!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Today's readings after adding a quart of Muriatic Acid and a pound of CYA stabilizer.
    FC=0
    TA=150
    pH:7.5
    CYA: <20

Water is still clear. Not sure if I've done the right thing but today I added another quart of Muriatic Acid today to bring alkalinity down further and 2 pounds of CYA powder. I'm going to let it run for a few hours and take the next reading before adding any Chlorine. AmI on the right path?

I've brushed as far as I could reach. Is it necessary while I have the Kreepy Krauly sweeper cleaning it up?

8. Back To Top    #8

if you followed pool math to get the CYA where is should be for the SLAM, then just run your future dosing assuming the CYA is where it should be. It could take a few days or a week for the CYA test to show the new current CYA level.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

9. Back To Top    #9

Get FC in the water!!!
    Start the SLAM and assuming the CYA is going to be at the level you targeted.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Will it take a few days to see accurate reading even if I dissolved the CYA using the sock-in-the-skimmer method?

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes it will. Figure about a week for the CYA reading to increase to what you added per Poolmath.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Yes it will. Figure about a week for the CYA reading to increase to what you added per Poolmath.
    Wow. I hope I haven't hastened to add too much. With a drought in California, I can't be emptying out any water to refill it.

13. Back To Top    #13

After adding Muriatic acid, pH has gone up to 8.2 but T/A has remained at 150. Not sure what I may be doing wrong.

14. Back To Top    #14

that's weird your pH has gone up...after adding the MA. What was your FC level when you tested your pH. If it was over 10 , pH reads high from what I've read on other posts...
    21,200 gallon/ 30' vinyl round above ground pool/ 200# hayward sand filter/1.5 hp hayward pump (70gl/m) /
    /self installed pool about 3 years ago - Smithfield, VA- Pool filled with well water -TF100 kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-in-VA View Post
    that's weird your pH has gone up...after adding the MA. What was your FC level when you tested your pH. If it was over 10 , pH reads high from what I've read on other posts...
    yes, it is weird since I expected T/A go go down but it didn't. My FC is 24+ because I'm thinking my CYA would be around 60 after the new CYA has been fully absorbed and distributed in the pool.

16. Back To Top    #16

ok, with your FC at 24+ you can ignore the PH reading as it will not be accurate with FC over 10.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by New2water View Post
    yes, it is weird since I expected T/A go go down but it didn't. My FC is 24+ because I'm thinking my CYA would be around 60 after the new CYA has been fully absorbed and distributed in the pool.
    well if your FC is 24+ don't fret about your pH while SLAMming your pool. You're good to go! keep SLAMming and brushing..\

Also are you using POOL MATH when maintaining? because adding 3 gallons of bleach at a time wont last weeks at a time... its a daily dosing of chlorine to MAINTAIN a consistent FC level to prevent the algae growth
    21,200 gallon/ 30' vinyl round above ground pool/ 200# hayward sand filter/1.5 hp hayward pump (70gl/m) /
    /self installed pool about 3 years ago - Smithfield, VA- Pool filled with well water -TF100 kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Test and add chlorine back to shock level at least 2 to 3 times per day during a SLAM. Her is the process: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

If you have a pool robot trawling the pool, can that replacing brushing?

12K Gallon IG Lap Pool (c. 2001)
    6.6 ft x 48 ft/White Plaster/Concrete
    Pentair Superflo VS Pump 2.0 HP/Sand Filter
    Dolphin S300i Robot/SolarBreeze Robot
    TFT-100 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Thank you all for your help. The pool is SLAMmed and balanced sparkling clean.