I was away from home for a couple of months and asked a friend to keep adding 2-3 gallons of bleach every 2 weeks in my absence. When I returned at the start of this month, there was some algae forming in the pool. I added 3 gallons immediately and it cleared up. Two weeks later, it was again changing color so I added another 3 gallons of liquid Chlorine. I observed some algae forming yesterday and did a quick Chlorine & pH test. PH was high and there appeared no Chlorine so I added 3 more gallons this morning. I should have done complete chemistry test sooner but was lazy/busy and kept delaying it. WI tried to run tests this morning, numbers seemed out of whack so I took my water sample to Leslie's. Here are their results:
Free Available Chlorine: 10
Total Available Chlorine: 10
Cyanuric Acid: 18
Total Alkilinity: 170
They advised first fixing the TA by adding 1 Qt of Muriatic Acid and allowing Chlorine to burn for a couple of days before doing anything else.
I have grand kids visiting next Saturday and want to make sure the pool will be safe for them to enjoy. Please advise what steps do I need to take to have our pool ready for their use.
PS. My filter pressure gauge shows no pressure when the pump is running. My filter cartridges are 3 years old and I have ordered new ones to arrive in a couple of days. Wonder if it is a faulty pressure gauge or torn filter cartridges. I'll find out when I have the new filters on hand.