Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello, first time pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Mesa, AZ

Post Hello, first time pool owner

I recently bought a house and it has a pool. My pool knowledge is pretty much at zero. Up until recently we had a pool guy come and look after its needs but he will no longer be helping us out. The pool equipment that came with the house was quite outdated, a single speed pump and a Zodiac vacuum. So, I went the pool store and after talking to the sales person bought a Hayward VS pump and a Pentair Rebel vacuum. I have read a bit on the forum already, specifically about CYA levels, and this looks like a place where I can learn quite a bit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Hello, first time pool owner

If you haven't yet, invest in a proper test kit ASAP. It will pay for itself many times over.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tallahassee, FL

HI! You are going to fit in real good around here! I love that you have already been reading up on things!

The first and most important thing you need to take care of your pool is a good test kit. See my siggy below for the ones we use and love.

Yeah I know the pool store will test your water for you it really free when you have to buy this or that? Most of the time the stuff does not work so you have to come back for more.

I are all about learning and taking good care of your pool. I am going to give you a couple of links to read.

Pool School - Getting Started

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

You will see from the link above that the stuff you will need to take care of your pool can be bought from Walmart! LOL How cool is that!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    DFW, Texas

Welcome to TFP!

Here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
    1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    2. Chlorine CYA Chart
    3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
    4. Recommended Levels
    5. Pool Math
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.