Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining Pool without doing backwash?

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining Pool without doing backwash?

We have had so much rain in the last two days that I have an extra two inches of water on my pool. So much that the weir door isn't working properly. So I need to drain water. But can I drain the water without doing a backwash? If so let me know!
    11.5K gal, IG vinyl, 3/4 HP Hayward Pump, Hayward sand filter, Hayward Chlorinator (Turned Off), Raypak Heater, Taylor FAS-DPD K2006C T/K

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Draining Pool without doing backwash?

Yes you can. Just turn the handle to backwash and let it flow. You don't need the pump on.

I have a pipe set up just to take water out. One day I will have a auto overflow system for just in case.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Set the multiport to waste. It will pump straight from the pool out the backwash waste port and take the filter completely out of the loop.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Doh! I forgot about waste! Good catch Richard. THANKS!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks!
    11.5K gal, IG vinyl, 3/4 HP Hayward Pump, Hayward sand filter, Hayward Chlorinator (Turned Off), Raypak Heater, Taylor FAS-DPD K2006C T/K

6. Back To Top    #6

If it will backwash without electricity, why would you not? Waste is probably faster and easier but again why?
    Intek 18' X 48" AG, filled to 36-42"(slope?), Intek sand filter/pump, Hayward skimmer