Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will DE harm my lawn / pet?

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Will DE harm my lawn / pet?

I've recently added DE to my sand filter, just to try to get that polished sparkle in my pool.

When I would backwash, it is into the yard, and normally it makes my grass grow very lush.

Will the DE hurt the lawn, or be hazardous to my family and dog who frequent the yard?

It's only 1-3/4 cups. Before DE I was back washing about every 10-14 days (+15%-20%psi).

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Will DE harm my lawn / pet?

It is doubtful it will cause any harm. I do believe California requires it be labeled as a carcinogen, but I think they make everything have that label.

Here is a fact sheet from Oregon State University. Diatomaceous Earth General Fact Sheet
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Inhaling the dry DE is not good. And if you put it all over you lawn and then it drys and then the dogs go sniffing around, that could be bad news.

You could switch to the cellulose fiber instead of DE and not have the problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Inhaling the dry DE is not good. And if you put it all over you lawn and then it drys and then the bogs go sniffing around, that could be bad news.

You could switch to the cellulose fiber instead of DE and not have the problem.
    Interesting, is there a specific brand name I should look for/avoid?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

DE is just an inhalation hazard. It's not toxic if eaten. Be aware that it is silicon - like sand - and will never break down. If you've got a patch of white crust at the discharge, it will stay there. The best you can do is mix it in the dirt.

I use cellulose for that reason. It's wood pulp and will eventually rot away. Whatever brand the store sells is good enough, as long as it says cellulose filter media and it's in the pool section,. Don't get garden DE.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I saw a study where they had rats breathing DE for days. The cancer risk was small at best.
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

7. Back To Top    #7

DE is used extensively in organic farming and greenhouses. We use it to reduce insect issues - http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/Images/dust_mizer.jpg Many organic folks do, yes you can wear a mask, and I have when its windy or I am outdoors, but most growers do not use one. The DE cuts up the exoskeleton of the bugs and dried them out. Its very drying and getting it on your skin can make you quite dry - I wash it off with water. The pool forums is the first place I heard of DE as something bad and to be avoided. In the farming world it's rather welcome as a pesticide free way of controlling bugs without too much boogie man reputation.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by iankelly View Post
    DE is used extensively in organic farming and greenhouses. We use it to reduce insect issues - http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/Images/dust_mizer.jpg Many organic folks do, yes you can wear a mask, and I have when its windy or I am outdoors, but most growers do not use one. The DE cuts up the exoskeleton of the bugs and dried them out. Its very drying and getting it on your skin can make you quite dry - I wash it off with water. The pool forums is the first place I heard of DE as something bad and to be avoided. In the farming world it's rather welcome as a pesticide free way of controlling bugs without too much boogie man reputation.
    I thought that gardening DE was different from pool filter DE, and not suitable for filters?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide

9. Back To Top    #9

I think one is sintered and the other is not. I'm about to have to researching it more because my wife wants to use it for pest control. I have to verify that I get the right one.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Gardening and pool DE is different.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Gardening and pool DE is different.
    After some research I see that it indeed is.

Pool DE is heat treated and chemically processed making it a inhalation health hazard.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Michael1 View Post
    I saw a study where they had rats breathing DE for days. The cancer risk was small at best.
    I stand corrected. Pool DE is heat treated, and becomes 60-70% Crystalline Silica. Crystalline Silica is a health hazard.

https://www.osha.gov/dsg/topics/silicacrystalline/
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

13. Back To Top    #13

I wonder why they treat it and change its composition for pool use? Is it too fine before the heat treat?

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100