Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump replacement

I am looking to replace our pump. It's a Pentair 177474. When we first installed the pool, the next year we built a fence and then put sod all around. Well, while we were gone to get the sod, it came one of those summer pour down rains and the pump got filled with mud. I cleaned it the best I could but it just hasn't been the same since and I want to just replace it.

What is the best pump to replace it with?

Also, what is the best timer to go with for turning the pool on and off? When I'm gone to work, everyone else seems to forget to turn it on. Thanks
    35000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Jandy AquaSeries Ei Pure Salt System
    IG
    Vinyl
    Pentair Superflow 1hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump replacement

When my pump motor died, I just bought an exact replacement motor. No plumbing, took about fifteen minutes to swap it.

For timers, the Intermatics are pretty much bombproof, and you can buy extra flippers to have multiple on-offs in a day.

Attached Images Attached Images
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

A superflo VS would be an exact swap for your system and you will enjoy the electrical savings benefits along with quiet operation of a variable speed pump. VS motors are also completely sealed, so no worries about getting dirt, debris, critters up in there to ruin your weekend. Superflo VS also has built in time clock, so no need for external timer.
    Last edited by thepoolman; 06-28-2015 at 09:23 PM. Reason: More info

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I would say go to your local pool store and see what kind of deal they will give you on one. Coming up on July 4, I'm sure there are some sales popping up. Many brick and mortar can offer extended warranties as well.

I'm sure someone will chime in on the best place to get one online if you prefer going that route

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by thepoolman View Post
    A superflo VS would be an exact swap for your system and you will enjoy the electrical savings benefits along with quiet operation of a variable speed pump. VS motors are also completely sealed, so no worries about getting dirt, debris, critters up in there to ruin your weekend. Superflo VS also has built in time clock, so no need for external timer.
    Now that is what I'm talking about. Where is the cheapest place to get it?
    35000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter
    IG
    Vinyl
    Pentair Superflow 1hp

6. Back To Top    #6

I see quite a few different VS pumps. Which should I choose as a replacement?
    35000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter
    IG
    Vinyl
    Pentair Superflow 1hp

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by thepoolman View Post
    Does anyone have any more info or opinions on which pump to get and whether it is worth it to go with a VS pump? Thanks
    35000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter
    IG
    Vinyl
    Pentair Superflow 1hp

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm guessing that your energy rates are fairly low in Tennessee. If that is the case, you would probably be better off economically going with a two speed pump. Something like this.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by sargent View Post
    I'm guessing that your energy rates are fairly low in Tennessee. If that is the case, you would probably be better off economically going with a two speed pump. Something like this.

Looks like it would be an easy replacement. That pumps looks identical to mine with the exception of the switch in the back. I was interested in the built in timer of the superflo vs
    35000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter
    IG
    Vinyl
    Pentair Superflow 1hp

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, I went ahead and ordered a direct replacement since it was a lot cheaper. I got the pump in yesterday and I have a question. There is a small difference in the pumps. In the electrical connection area, it has what looks to be a turn dial that switches from 230 to 115. My old pump doesn't have that. I do see an "A" terminal and a "B" termianl on my old pump. The is a jumper wire that is connected to the "B" terminal only, but nothing in my old pump's manual tells me what these connections are. Anyone know? I'm thinking that since it doesn't have a selector, that this is how the 115/230 is controlled.
    35000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter
    IG
    Vinyl
    Pentair Superflow 1hp

11. Back To Top    #11

Nevermind. I figured it out. I also have an electrician buddy coming over tomorrow. We are going to replace the wiring and conduit from the panel to the pump. The conduit has some water in it and I don't like it. We are also going to make a few more changes as well.
    35000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter
    IG
    Vinyl
    Pentair Superflow 1hp

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
    Nevermind. I figured it out. I also have an electrician buddy coming over tomorrow. We are going to replace the wiring and conduit from the panel to the pump. The conduit has some water in it and I don't like it. We are also going to make a few more changes as well.
    Let us know what it is, in case someone else has the question. I tried a search earlier and came up with nothing here.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Let us know what it is, in case someone else has the question. I tried a search earlier and came up with nothing here.
    Well, I never found a "diagram" but did figure out that it was 115v going to the pump, so that's what I set the new one too.
    35000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter
    IG
    Vinyl
    Pentair Superflow 1hp