Pump replacement

TN94z

May 15, 2012
Henderson, TN
I am looking to replace our pump. It's a Pentair 177474. When we first installed the pool, the next year we built a fence and then put sod all around. Well, while we were gone to get the sod, it came one of those summer pour down rains and the pump got filled with mud. I cleaned it the best I could but it just hasn't been the same since and I want to just replace it.

What is the best pump to replace it with?

Also, what is the best timer to go with for turning the pool on and off? When I'm gone to work, everyone else seems to forget to turn it on. Thanks

When my pump motor died, I just bought an exact replacement motor. No plumbing, took about fifteen minutes to swap it.

For timers, the Intermatics are pretty much bombproof, and you can buy extra flippers to have multiple on-offs in a day.

mickey4paws-IntermaticTimer.jpg

Attachments

• mickey4paws-IntermaticTimer.jpg
    mickey4paws-IntermaticTimer.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 96
A superflo VS would be an exact swap for your system and you will enjoy the electrical savings benefits along with quiet operation of a variable speed pump. VS motors are also completely sealed, so no worries about getting dirt, debris, critters up in there to ruin your weekend. Superflo VS also has built in time clock, so no need for external timer.

Last edited:
I would say go to your local pool store and see what kind of deal they will give you on one. Coming up on July 4, I'm sure there are some sales popping up. Many brick and mortar can offer extended warranties as well.

I'm sure someone will chime in on the best place to get one online if you prefer going that route

A superflo VS would be an exact swap for your system and you will enjoy the electrical savings benefits along with quiet operation of a variable speed pump. VS motors are also completely sealed, so no worries about getting dirt, debris, critters up in there to ruin your weekend. Superflo VS also has built in time clock, so no need for external timer.

Now that is what I'm talking about. Where is the cheapest place to get it?

Does anyone have any more info or opinions on which pump to get and whether it is worth it to go with a VS pump? Thanks

I'm guessing that your energy rates are fairly low in Tennessee. If that is the case, you would probably be better off economically going with a two speed pump. Something like this.

Looks like it would be an easy replacement. That pumps looks identical to mine with the exception of the switch in the back. I was interested in the built in timer of the superflo vs

Well, I went ahead and ordered a direct replacement since it was a lot cheaper. I got the pump in yesterday and I have a question. There is a small difference in the pumps. In the electrical connection area, it has what looks to be a turn dial that switches from 230 to 115. My old pump doesn't have that. I do see an "A" terminal and a "B" termianl on my old pump. The is a jumper wire that is connected to the "B" terminal only, but nothing in my old pump's manual tells me what these connections are. Anyone know? I'm thinking that since it doesn't have a selector, that this is how the 115/230 is controlled.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nevermind. I figured it out. I also have an electrician buddy coming over tomorrow. We are going to replace the wiring and conduit from the panel to the pump. The conduit has some water in it and I don't like it. We are also going to make a few more changes as well.

Nevermind. I figured it out. I also have an electrician buddy coming over tomorrow. We are going to replace the wiring and conduit from the panel to the pump. The conduit has some water in it and I don't like it. We are also going to make a few more changes as well.
Let us know what it is, in case someone else has the question. I tried a search earlier and came up with nothing here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.