confused on chlorine options

I have been told by one store powder chlorine is more concentrated and liquid is only 10% chlorine. I have a 14000 mezonite pool and algae up the wazooh. One store said that the addidtive ingredient in the powder that helps adhere the chlorine to the powder takes up most if its space. The liquid type becomes more concentrated with the chemicals they put in and though it is only 10% chlorine is actually more potent. I am not a chemist and really struggling to learn when everyone says something else. Thank you for having such wonderful forums to trust.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Pools stores are out to make money ... there is not much money to be made on liquid chlorine/bleach. The bleach has not detrimental side-effects like all the colod forms of chlorine. And if you look at the cost per the amount of chlorine (ppm of FC) bleach is nearly always cheaper.

With algae in the water you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process and to do that you need to have one of the Recommended Test Kits that includes the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Welcome coach! I have to tell you, I got roped into those "bags" of Fresh-n-Clear, Chlor-Brite, etc, and many other pool store products (algaecides) when I started my pool. I found it amazing how not only did my "free" test results change dramatically each day (literally I had them tested every day), and none of the pool products they sold me had a positive effect on my water.

The "SLAM" link Jason provided above will not only clear your water if done properly, but should give you the encouragement to maintain your pool on your own with the proper test kit. Check-out all of our links noted in our signatures. The TFPC method works, you just have to be willing to stick with it. Once you get fed-up with the pool store, you'll see what we mean. :) Have a great evening!

Well coach, they are either ignorant of the science or outright lying to you, you choose.

You need three things to get rid of the algae:

A quality, accurate test kit

Chlorine

Time

Jason has already linked to the SLAM instructions and the recommended test kits. I will only add that the TF100 will be your best value, just be sure to get the XL Option as it has more,of the testing reagents you need when cleaning up a swamp.

Stop going to the stores unless they sell liquid chlorine, they wil just try to sell you expensive magic potions. The potion you need is chlorine. Look around, Florida does have pool,stores,that sell higher concentration liquid (10/12.5%).

Welcome to TFP!

You've been given some good advice. Chlorine (in the form of plain unscented liquid bleach) is the only thing you need to eradicate algae and keep the water clean on an ongoing basis.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.