Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Circulation Dye Test

1. Back To Top    #1

Circulation Dye Test

I have been wanting to do this test for some time but haven't gotten around to it until now. I ran three tests:

1) Dye in front of return at high speed

2) Dye in from of return at low speed

3) Dye in skimmer coming out of 4 returns at high speed

The only issue was that the dye faded pretty quickly from blue to green because my FC levels are currently above 5 ppm. I think the dye is meant for much lower FC levels. The videos are saved as 10x so each min represents 10 min real time. Anyway here are the results and a few comments:

Dye in front of return at high speed - Note dye change at 5 min (0.5 min video time). Full distribution less than 30 min (3 min video time).

Dye in front of return at low speed - Note dye change at 20 min (2 min video time). Full distribution less than 60 min (6 min video time).

Dye out of 4 returns at high speed - Note dye change at 5 min (0.5 min video time). Full distribution less than 10 min (1 min video time).

I might try this again in the winter when I can let FC drop.

Dye: HTH party potion at Walmart.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Circulation Dye Test

Very interesting experiment. It's great to get a visualization of the spread. Thanks much.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

So would you think that only running the pump 30 minutes after adding bleach / acid on low speed is not enough then?
    I mean certainly it would be better to add chems with the pump on high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Because of the dye color change, it was really hard to tell when the dye got to the shallow end. That was my best guess but it probably occurred earlier than 60 min. But then again, high speed results seems to indicate something a little less than 30 min and I would expect low speed to be about 2x that.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

One could add chemicals slowly over each return in rough proportion to the volume of water in the area so more in the deep end than the shallow end. That way one gets most of the effect of putting it into the skimmer without sending concentrated chemicals through the pump, heater, filter.

In my pool I found that pouring over a return flow in the deep end at higher speed (48 GPM as opposed to 26 GPM for total flow rate) was mostly mixed at 10 minutes but continued to mix until 20 and was completely mixed after 30. I used FAS-DPD to measure chlorine levels for my test.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Brushing the pool after adding chemicals speeds up the distribution quite a bit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Now I know I'm not totally crazy because I do exactly what chemgeek said. I have 5 returns and pour some in front of each return. I must be mixing really fast, expecially if I take a swim shortly after.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for doing and posting!
    30k gallon IG PebbleSheen refinished 2014
    60sqft FNS Plus DE wih Proguard Cellulose, 1.5hp 2speed WhisperFlo
    TFTestKit and Stenner fixed 10gpd on timer with bleach
    Dolphin m500

9. Back To Top    #9

What kind of dye did you use for your tests?

Where do you buy it?

I would like to do the same kind of test for my personal entertainment.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

10. Back To Top    #10

Hth party potion at walmart.
    Mark