Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Always high PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Always high PH

Anyone in southern Ontario and northern states who experience PH levels constantly creeping up no matter how balanced you get it?

I get everything in check and yet PH continually creeps up, especially after rain. All I can do is just keep dumping in the acid (I use dry or "PH Down").

I do not have a decent pool test kit. I know, I know I know this is a major need for a pool owner. But for some reason they are not readily available here in Ontario and when they are they are $$$. The pool store does testing for me, which is somewhat reliable at best but regardless, the numbers may not be accurate, but are consistent so they can still indicate a spike
    16' x 32' IG, vinyl, 80k litre (21k gal), "lazy L" (kidney like at deep, squared off at shallow) shallow 3', deep 8', Hayward sand filter 300 lbs, 20gal/min Mod S-244T, Pentair Superflow VS 1.5 HP Model 342001, Raypak Heater 266K BTU Mod P-R266A-EN-C, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, diving board, Southern Ontario (Canada) climate.

2. Back To Top    #2

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Always high PH

Do you have a water feature or something that rolls your water?

I can't help with a test kit in Canada.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The test kit to get in CA is the Taylor k2006.

Rising Ph is caused by aeration or high TA. Adding acid when it gets to 7.8 to reduce it to 7.2 will slowly reduce TA. Or you can aggessively reduce TA by following this, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

No water feature.

Pool store's test indicates TA of 124ppm with a PH of 8.2

But to show how unreliable their testing is, 5 days later they indicated TA was down to 103ppm. Can the TA drop that quick?
    Granted, I did add about 800grams of PH down (instructions on PH down were to add 100g per every 10,000 litre of water) but the second test also indicated PH was 8.1. So why did it not go down??????

arrrgggggg....
    16' x 32' IG, vinyl, 80k litre (21k gal), "lazy L" (kidney like at deep, squared off at shallow) shallow 3', deep 8', Hayward sand filter 300 lbs, 20gal/min Mod S-244T, Pentair Superflow VS 1.5 HP Model 342001, Raypak Heater 266K BTU Mod P-R266A-EN-C, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, diving board, Southern Ontario (Canada) climate.

6. Back To Top    #6

Shane that shows you REALLY need to get your own test kit.

Good luck!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Any Ontario-ians out there know where to get a decent kit? I have tried the 5 pool supply stores in my area and some Ontario on-line based suppliers as well. All I can find is the digital reader, test strips and the $10 yellow and red liquid testers kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Does customs get in the way of you ordering online? CAN$:USD is about 4:5 right now so the cost of a TF-100 is about CAN$55, but I wouldn't know if they add a surcharge at the border that would make it cost prohibitive.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Husky25 View Post
    Does customs get in the way of you ordering online? CAN$:USD is about 4:5 right now so the cost of a TF-100 is about CAN$55, but I wouldn't know if they add a surcharge at the border that would make it cost prohibitive.
    Tftestkits can't ship to Canada. Somebody needs to be a middle man to get these people a good test kit at a reasonable price. Any takers?

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

There's an old thread on this board related to Canada. Search for "Place to buy test kits in Canada."

The thread is somewhat old so I would also do a Google search for "Taylor k2006 in Canada (Yahoo, Bing, whatever floats your boat)" or something of that nature. I have to believe there is a supplier somewhere, no?

Hope that helps. I don't mean to come off as a snotty American. I hope that is not the perception...
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm in Ottawa, Ontario area and use Taylor K2006.
    It is expensive in Canada, if you compare the price in US, but it's really worth it.
    I also had high pH, but after lowering my TA from 175 to 70, it's way more stable now.
    I used Muriatic Acid(31.45%), bought at Canadian Tire, to do it (took about 1 week, but wasn't very focused on aerating).
    But, you will need a go test kit to do it right.
    The K2005 is fairly easy to find in Canada, but your really want the K2006, NOT the K2005.

If you are not too far from the boarder you try to have it delivered to a UPS store, or use a friend/family in the State to ship/bring it to you (to save $).
    If you can't get it from the US, you can find it for around 115$CAD + shipping(~15$) on the web.
    US stores are not allowed to ship to Canada.
    12x20 vinyl liner + fiberglass steps. (6800 Gallons)
    SWCG - Hayward Salt&Swim 3C
    Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter (200 SQ.FT)
    Hayward TriStar VSP
    Raypak heat pump, Taylor K-2006 test kit.

12. Back To Top    #12

Oh! and rain does a good job at aerating, which will make your pH go up...
    12x20 vinyl liner + fiberglass steps. (6800 Gallons)
    SWCG - Hayward Salt&Swim 3C
    Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter (200 SQ.FT)
    Hayward TriStar VSP
    Raypak heat pump, Taylor K-2006 test kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    Tftestkits can't ship to Canada.
    Is it because of the product and/or chemicals in the kit?

Does anyone know if it is ok to bring it across the border or will customs stop it? I could send it to a friend's PO BOX in NY State but not if he is going to have issues at the border trying to bring it across.

- - - Updated - - -

Think I got my answer in the "Good test kit / bad test kit" thread

thnx

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Husky25 View Post
    Hope that helps. I don't mean to come off as a snotty American. I hope that is not the perception...
    No, not at all!

- - - Updated - - -

Lowry and Associates is the exclusive distributor of Taylor kits in Canada and they just happen to be in my town. I cannot access their online catalogue though as I believe their site has some issues. But I will pay them a visit.