Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New water help

1. Back To Top    #1

New water help

Just filled our pool with the hose. Testing my water I am coming up with around a total alkalinity reading of around 20. (Water turns red after 2 drops using the TF100) Using the pool math I am coming up with about 10 lbs of baking soda needed. Does this seem right for tap water? Am I on the right track?
    21' 54" round AGP, Hayward 1hp 2 speed pump, Hayward Aqua Trol HP SWG, Hayward 150 sq ft cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New water help

Trust your test kit. You have THE best one there is so............

Did you know you can get baking soda at walmart and sams in the BIG bags? They have found out we use it for pools and started packaging it for that.

Do you have your CYA ready to put in?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes cya is ready. 8lbs, again going off of pool math based on SWG. Should I add baking soda and CYA at the same time?
    21' 54" round AGP, Hayward 1hp 2 speed pump, Hayward Aqua Trol HP SWG, Hayward 150 sq ft cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

You can. The main two to NOT add at the same time is chlorine and muratic acid=BOOM!

Put your CYA in a sock and hang it in front of the return. When you dose your FC do it as if your CYA is at your targeted level. CYA does not show up on the test until about a week later.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the help!