Saltwater green tint

Jun 28, 2015
Portland, oregon
Hello, I am new to a saltwater system. I have a 18x48 Intex Ultra Frame pool. I set it up added the required amount of salt ran the filter pump and left it on for over 12 hours making sure all the salt was dissolved before turning on the saltwater system. Yesterday is when I started the system on boost. The pool was clear all day yesterday and the kids have been swimming in it. Today I woke up system still on boost and my pool water has a green tint to it. It does not look cloudy and I do not feel any alge on the sides of the pool.

Here are my test results
total hardness in 100 range
total chlorine in 1 (ok) range
ph in 7.2-7.8 range
total alkalinity in between low and ok range closer to ok range
stabilizer in between 0 and 50

Some stuff I've read on line says maybe metals in the water could this be the case? How do I fix this? It's Sunday and all the pool stores are closed. I did turn off the boost just now. Is it safe to let my kids swim? Also can I ever get the water back to clear blue without emptying it out?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First you need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits because a stabilizer range of 0 to 50ppm is not even close to accurate enough. Did you add any stabilizer? If not, you need to.

A clear green tint could be due to iron in the water that shows up when you add chlorine.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:

ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Water Balance for SWGs

And here is some reading about Dealing with Metals in your Water that list the recommended sequestrants.

Thanks for the info. Man this pool is costing more and more. I've had a chlorine pool before this year and wanted to switch to saltwater to have crystal clear water with less maintenance seems I was wrong maybe? Why can't I just have clear water???? Last few years it was constant checking and adding chemicals and it looks with this it will be the same.

Thanks for the info. Man this pool is costing more and more. I've had a chlorine pool before this year and wanted to switch to saltwater to have crystal clear water with less maintenance seems I was wrong maybe? Why can't I just have clear water???? Last few years it was constant checking and adding chemicals and it looks with this it will be the same.
You're not wrong, you can have crystal clear water for little effort and cash. You have to be committed to make it happen.
Stay the course...

I've had my swcg pool for 3 years now and spend very little on it. The key is getting the recommended test kit, ensuring you actually followed pool school formula( I didn't the first time) then once you are balanced you're golden.

I do nothing to my pool now, other than a simple set of tests((chlorine, Ph) every couple days. You can literally look at the water and tell the Ph is high( not as crystal clear). Test and put a bit of muratic acid in(pool math). You have to stick it out in the beginning to reap the rewards.

Well, we do not trust pool store testing either ... so go ahead and order a good kit.

It is safe to swim in the water (you shower in it ;) ), as long as the FC is in range for your CYA level. But if you have not added any CYA, then it is zero and you will lose all your FC to the sun every day. you should supplement with bleach until the CYA gets up and the SWG can keep FC in the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So weirdest thing woke up this morning and the water was not as green. I hadn't put anything in it and I had to go to work. Haven't ran the saltwater system either. Tested before work and no chlorine. On my way home from work I bought stabilizer and a bag of shock. When I got home the pool was blue but no chlorine. Threw the shock in and stabilizer and turned on the saltwater system all seem clear now and chlorine is good. Weird?

TFP is a methodology that can be used to determine exactly what to add to your pool and exactly when to add it. But in order to do so, you need precise water quality test results, which is why test strips are not considered suitable.

Randomly tossing chemicals into your pool leads down a very frustrating and expensive path.

Jenmab33, you are really going to have to decide whether to take the advice of the people on this forum or the pool store's. They are incompatible with one another. I've used the TFP method for over 8 years, without a single issue. And the costs to do it this way are so much less compared to pool store chemicals. But, if you want to follow this method and get good advice, you will need to purchase a recommended test kit. Strips do not work! You are really wasting your time if you come here to ask questions and then throw in your pool whatever the pool store says to do. These guys can get your water in great shape, but you have to follow their advice!

Jenmab33, you are really going to have to decide whether to take the advice of the people on this forum or the pool store's. They are incompatible with one another. I've used the TFP method for over 8 years, without a single issue. And the costs to do it this way are so much less compared to pool store chemicals. But, if you want to follow this method and get good advice, you will need to purchase a recommended test kit. Strips do not work! You are really wasting your time if you come here to ask questions and then throw in your pool whatever the pool store says to do. These guys can get your water in great shape, but you have to follow their advice!

I'm a little confused I didn't know this site was for only a certain method of pool balancing. I also didn't know there was multiple ways of balancing your pool water. I figured if I went to a store that specialized in pools they would know what they are talking about. I guess I still don't really understand what this TFP method is. Is it just buying a test kit? Cause that's all I keep hearing about. I need to buy a $50-$100 test kit cause THE STRIPS DONT WORK. Are the chemicals or whatever they are different from what you would buy at a pool store?

The chemicals are identical, but not marked up for the fancy package when you buy in the grocery store instead of the pool store.

Pool store testing is horrible. Test strips are horrible. Search the forum and you can see it over and over again.

The TFPC method is about KNOWING the chemistry of the water (using a good test kit) and only adding what it needs. It is a minimalistic approach where the testing is the cornerstone.

The cost of the test kit seems a bit high at first. However, after using the methods here, the money you save by not buying unnecessary chemicals more than makes up for the cost of the kit. I've been using it for three summers, it works, but you have to follow the recommendations in Pool School, otherwise it won't.

I figured if I went to a store that specialized in pools they would know what they are talking about.
That seems very logical. Unfortunately, there is nothing further from the truth. Pool Store Employees simply do not have adequate education.
I guess I still don't really understand what this TFP method is.
I agree. The TFP method is about teaching YOU to take care of your own pool and not to rely on someone else's inexpert opinion. We teach you to manage your pool because we teach you to understand the basics of pool water chemistry.

Having a good test kit is an essential step towards that understanding.

I "hear" your skepticism. The choice is entirely yours but if you continue to read on this forum, the success stories are undeniable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.