Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is polystyrene foam installation necessary?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is polystyrene foam installation necessary?

We are redraining our pool as apparently our level ground has a slight slope to it, but enough that it is throwing water height off all over. My husband is currently at Lowes and pricing the polystyrene foam installation I have seen recommended in various threads. I am surprised at how much it is. Are there other good alternatives than using the foam? Is it necessary?

I don't remember having such hard time putting up same sized pool when I was younger, about 25 yrs ago. My $340 pool is becoming a nightmare. :/

Thank you for any advice.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is polystyrene foam installation necessary?

Some people have used AstroTurf. Others have used "Gorilla Pads". You might to compare those as well.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

It is not necessary. You can use sand and a tarp n call it a day.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

We used the thinner 1/4" foam that comes filled accordion style. We used two layers atop a dirt bef with sand placed on top of dirty only enough to fill low spaces. And I an very satisfied. Fraction of the cost and it fit in the mini van.