Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there a quick reference cheat sheet floating around?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there a quick reference cheat sheet floating around?

All:

I have found all of the info required to handle pool chemistry, but is there a quick reference floating around? Something like this:

FC - between 1 and 4 PPM

If low, add...
    If high, wait it out...

pH - between .... you get the point...

I can put something together quick enough, but before I re-engineer and op test a new wheel...

Cheers,

Ed
    7,500 gallon, funky kidney shaped, Hayward Cartridge filter, no heater, partial sunshine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there a quick reference cheat sheet floating around?

If you set up poolmath with chlorine source and pool finish in the last row of the table, it will autofill suggested levels for you and do the math to tell how much of each you need to add. Although one also needs to look at Effects of Adding Chemicals down lower, so one doesn't lower pH to 7.2 with MA and then add a bunch of CYA which is also acidic, or baking soda and soda ash to fix pH and TA individually but which will also drive TA far too high.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Right, been using pool math, just looking for a 3x5 card that keeps me from walking back and forth from the garage to the pool... I can type it up...
    7,500 gallon, funky kidney shaped, Hayward Cartridge filter, no heater, partial sunshine

4. Back To Top    #4

I suspect that in a month, you'll already know how much acid and bleach it takes to make your adjustments without even going near poolmath. It shouldn't be hard to figure out how much bleach it takes to raise FC by .5's

pH adjustments also require TA to calculate, so you're stuck using poolmath awhile until you get TA settled.

You'll learn your pool's personality quick enough. I know how much acid I need to add for every inch of refill water I add, and I just dump it into the hose stream which is right in front of the return.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Correct, but it seems too easy. I told my wife all she needs to do is add 20 oz of liquid chlorine a day, she told me I needed to go hire a pool guy again. But, pool sparkles! And I don't smell like chlorine every time I get out of it.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Richard is right on. In my pool, 121oz of 8.25% is 3 ppm. It's pretty easy to add 1/3 jug, 2/3/ jug or the whole jug, depending on how many ppm I want to bump up. I never measure ounces of bleach. Close is close enough for me.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Perfect.... Thank you, nice to have missed it... I will add in a column for remedies...