Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stubborn Pool Ladder Removal help

1. Back To Top    #1

Stubborn Pool Ladder Removal help

I need advice

The pool company came out yesterday to drain our pool. Monday, they are going to come back out and prep the pool and remove our old liner. On Tuesday, the new liner will be dropped and fit to our pool and then our pool will be filled.

My husband and I are worried because we had trouble removing our pool ladder several months to a year ago. My husband removed the bolt but the ladder wouldn't move any at all. He didn't put the bolts back in, but just left them laying next to the hole. Ughhhh. I tried pouring some coke on it to try to remove any corrosion, but I just can't get those bolts/screws back in at all. It's bad 😩

Should we just let the pool company deal with this on Monday? I know it is their job to remove it, but I know they probably won't be expecting it to be this bad. I'm afraid they will charge us extra money, which honestly is okay with me if they can fix it (I just can't afford a huge amount to get it fixed) and if it is something I can do to help them, I don't mind.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I will post a pic shortly.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently I am over my quota, so I cannot attach a pic sorry

- - - Updated - - -

Woohoo! Forgot I could use PHotobucket!
    In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    21,000 gallons
    Sand Filter
    1 1/2 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stubborn Pool Ladder Removal help

When you tighten the bolts, it pulls up an anchor wedge inside the cup and against the rail. You have to put the bolt in the hole and tap it down with a hammer to push the anchor wedge back down.

If you still can't get the rails out, try removing the ladder treads so that you can rotate the rails independently.

A rubber hammer can be used to hammer up on the rail to get it out.

The cups should be replaced.

3. Back To Top    #3

The wedge is very much like the gooseneck on bicycle handlebars, if that helps you any.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! I understand the wedge concept just wish there was an easy way to get the screw back in. Drill it out? I think I'll let the pool guys figure this one out and just pay extra if need be
    In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    21,000 gallons
    Sand Filter
    1 1/2 hp pump

5. Back To Top    #5

You don't have to get the screw back in. Just put it in the hole and hammer it down.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    You don't have to get the screw back in. Just put it in the hole and hammer it down.
    Woohoo that's nice to know! Thanks for all of the suggestions and help everyone!
    In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    21,000 gallons
    Sand Filter
    1 1/2 hp pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Note that something looks odd about where the screw goes in. There should be a hole, but it looks full. Not sure why.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Note that something looks odd about where the screw goes in. There should be a hole, but it looks full. Not sure why.
    Exactly! It is full! I don't know why either? I don't know if dirt got into the hole (the metal ring thing was covering it). I just hope the pool guys can fix this tomorrow/remove it without charging us a fortune!

I am not home at the moment, so I never had a chance to go and just hammer the screw down into hole to see if that works.

Oh well. Hopefully this won't turn into some huge ordeal.

Thanks again!
    In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    21,000 gallons
    Sand Filter
    1 1/2 hp pump

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

If those holes are full, don't try hammering the bolt back in. It will only pack the dirt in tighter. Try to loosen the dirt with a small screw driver and then hosing it out.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks! They were able to install liner this morning without taking the ladder out, so all is good. Thanks everyone!
    In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    21,000 gallons
    Sand Filter
    1 1/2 hp pump