Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High TC

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy High TC

Using pool master 5-way test kit.

Free Chlorine test was off the charts after one minute there were orange particles floating. When I checked the ph level it turn yellow so I'm assuming this means non-existent. And I couldn't get a change in color with alkalinity test even after 25 drops. Please help!!!
    45,000 gallon, in-ground pool. Hayward-200 sand filter. Hayward chlorine feeder.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High TC

Welcome to TFP!

Are you using your chlorine feeder, or have you manually added chlorine? How does the water look?

With your test kit, if you have high chlorine you should add two drops of solution #4 as the first step in the pH test. Did you do that? Even so, high chlorine interferes with pH testing, so I'm not overly worried about that now.

Any idea why your chlorine is so high?

You really need to get a better quality test kit. We recommend the TF100 at TFTestkits.net.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

The water looks great. Clear. I have been using a feeder. Had trouble with no chlorine int eh pool so I turned up the dial. Then *insert excuses here* so I hadn't tested it in a couple weeks. I re tested with the additional drop. It's not as frightening low as I thought but it's below 6.8. I also have the HTC strip test. It showed alkalinity at about 40ppm, hardness 200ppm. Cyanuric acid at 0. What don't need to put in?
    45,000 gallon, in-ground pool. Hayward-200 sand filter. Hayward chlorine feeder.

4. Back To Top    #4

I re tested the alkalinity too. It is low. So do I take care of that first?

5. Back To Top    #5

If you have been using picks, you have CYA/stabilizer I the water. The test strips are just junk.

You really need a reliable test kit. Here is what you want. TF100 Test Kit

If you order it today you will have it mid week.

I'll be honest, we don't like to give suggestions based on test strips. For now I would use Pool Math to figure how much Borax to add to bring the pH up to 7.2 and keep chlorine,in the water until your kit arrives.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay. Thank you. I have ordered the test kit. I will reply with the newly tested results when I receive the kit. Should I start a new thread then or just post a reply on here?

7. Back To Top    #7

Keep it all here. The OTO chlorine test you have is good to 5ppm and the pH test should work, so get the pH in line while you wait for the test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

Kit came in. I did all test but the calcium. The FC showed off charts still orange. CC - zero. Which I don't understand. PH 7.5. TA- 120 but it didn't turn red it turned yellow. And the CYA-80ppm. I've had the chlorine pumped turn off since I found the high chlorine.