Wall Whale brush

SuzfromTexas

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 7, 2015
Houston, Texas
Divin Dave gave the tip yesterday about the Wall Whale brush. It sounds great, but it is out of stock on Amazon (the XL version seems to be gone indefinitely). So I went to the Gabco website. They offer the brush with nylon bristles, stainless steel, and a 50/50 option.

Which type of bristles do ya'll recommend? I'm going to look for it at the local pool stores. Thanks!

Suz.

There are two Wall Whale brushes - Classic and XL. Based on reviews it appears the XL is a bit harder to use due to the larger size.

I've tried ordering the classic on Amazon a few times and it ends up getting cancelled due to product being unavailable. Doesn't appear you can buy them direct either. Curious where people are purchasing them.

From the note on Amazon and the absence of choice for it on the Gabco site, I don't think the XL is available. Last night when I tried to get one from Amazon, it said the brush is temporarily out of stock. I haven't called Gabco. Their site gives a list of retailers; I haven't begun calling them.

Suz.

Suz,
check with your PB for new plaster to make sure the steel brush wont void the warranty. Steel would be the better choice for plaster IMO, but then Im not a plaster expert either. It might be the plaster is still soft enough that a nylon one will work fine.

out of stock eh? yeah, I can imagine. They are notoriously popular. They are on most of the regular pool supply sites as well as eBay.

Unless you have muscles upon muscles, I would not recommend the XL. The regular one will be plenty for most folks. I have a regular one, and I dont want one any bigger!

Divin Dave gave the tip yesterday about the Wall Whale brush. It sounds great, but it is out of stock on Amazon (the XL version seems to gone indefinitely). So I went to the Gabco website. They offer the brush with nylon bristles, stainless steel, and a 50/50 option.

Which type of bristles do ya'll recommend? I'm going to look for it at the local pool stores. Thanks!

Suz.

The tail on ours cracked the second year. I thing the pole fell off of a wall and it snapped off. But I liked it up until then. It takes more pressure to push but that pressure is just straight line pushing, and it converts that to downward pressure on the floor/wall.

Great info, Divin D. Nope, no Popeye muskles here..... In fact, I would probably need a mini whale brush (isn't that an oxymoron?). But.... I'll have my son do most of the brushing! I should say, 'pay my son'!! I've worked that into my budget for the pool. LOL!!! Thanks!
Suz.

The tail on ours cracked the second year. I thing the pole fell off of a wall and it snapped off. But I liked it up until then. It takes more pressure to push but that pressure is just straight line pushing, and it converts that to downward pressure on the floor/wall.

Thanks!! It seems they may be tricky to get. I called a nearby pool store (hisssssss). The young guy was super. He has a blended bristle (50-50 of nylon, stainless steel) wall whale, but he thought that would be too rough on new plaster not yet cured. (pretty nice, since he could have probably made the sale with me). He called other stores and found one not too far. They were holding it for me, but the guy called me back right away and said the other store realized it was a defective brush waiting to be returned. The guy put me on their order list. He sure tried to help!

Also to confirm what DivnDave said.... The guy at the store said he did have the XL, but he said people often return those.

I think I'll call my PB tomorrow and see what he says about the blended bristle. But I don't want to ruin brand new plaster!!!

Anyone have more info? Thanks!
Suz.

My WW was nylon (almost certain but not 100%) but the one before that (at the time of new plaster) was SS and nylon and I felt it made some scratches in the new plaster. I wouldn't use any SS for a few months if it were me.

By the way - tell your son to be extra careful when brushing so that the "tail" doesn't flip past the brush and he begins scraping the plaster with the tail instead of the bristles...

It happened to me a bit on my brand new pool (pictures coming)... when you pull the brush backwards for the next stroke the tail wants to flip over the top of the bristles.

It's hard to tell how much i scraped off but there's definitely variations in the texture where I inadvertently scraped it (actually a couple of different places because I'm a slow learner and it's easy to do). just be careful...

One last thought I have with the brushing of a new pool is that it's not so much the force that's applied (and easily generated with a Whale Tail) but more of the consistent brushing that is most important that 1st week of acid washing. I'd say just more consistent brushing over the entire pool surfaces (walls, seats, steps and of course the bottom) that does the most good.

I can definitely feel changes in texture (a bit rougher) where i must have missed brushing.

At least its a good work out.

Good Luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I found a Wall Whale XL today at a local store for $19.99. I wanted the regular, not the XL but I'm a big guy and will make it work. The store rep told me it was a discontinued product and once the sold the last 2 they had they would not get anymore. he also had a knock off but it looked pretty cheap and not sure it would perform as well.

FYI, when my nylon brush that came with the wall whale fell apart after a few years, I now bought a similar mixed bristle brush and moved the tail over to the new brush. Just have to find one that looks like the similar mounting style.

I have been using my WallWhale brush for over 3 years now and I LOVE IT! Not only does it improve bristle-to-wall contact pressure (my "tail" is only set to half way point and it creates phenomenal pressure) but it also creates LOTS of aeration and deep water mixing. I love to use it right after chemical additions to really mix up the water. If you start with the tail slightly out of the water, you can drag air bubbles all the way down to the bottom and create lots of aeration.

Got mine in Ace Hardware.

This thing is huge, without comparing to a "typical" brush or even the classic. Do you know if the tail is the same size as the classic? Is it the brush itself that makes it XL? Maybe for $20 its worth taking the tail off and mounting on a regular size nylon brush..Thanks

I have the XL and it's the only brush I've had thats worth a darn.

A lot of other brushes miss certain areas of my pool and have not nearly as much surface area.

It is tough to operate that though and I have it on the lightest setting. But it sure does get the job
done when I need to super scour.

So I contacted a local pool supply store and asked if they had any Whale Brushes. Their online catalog had the same picture of the one I found on Amazon (out of Stock). He said that his supplier has stopped ordering them because the manufacturer had switched to a Chinese source and they were breaking easily ...... He said he was at a lose as to where to get any at the moment. He said if I found one, to double check the quality. Not sure how accurate this is, still checking around.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.