Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall Whale brush

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Wall Whale brush

Divin Dave gave the tip yesterday about the Wall Whale brush. It sounds great, but it is out of stock on Amazon (the XL version seems to be gone indefinitely). So I went to the Gabco website. They offer the brush with nylon bristles, stainless steel, and a 50/50 option.

Which type of bristles do ya'll recommend? I'm going to look for it at the local pool stores. Thanks!

Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Wall Whale brush

Quote Originally Posted by spool View Post
    There are two Wall Whale brushes - Classic and XL. Based on reviews it appears the XL is a bit harder to use due to the larger size.

I've tried ordering the classic on Amazon a few times and it ends up getting cancelled due to product being unavailable. Doesn't appear you can buy them direct either. Curious where people are purchasing them.
    From the note on Amazon and the absence of choice for it on the Gabco site, I don't think the XL is available. Last night when I tried to get one from Amazon, it said the brush is temporarily out of stock. I haven't called Gabco. Their site gives a list of retailers; I haven't begun calling them.

Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

Suz,
    check with your PB for new plaster to make sure the steel brush wont void the warranty. Steel would be the better choice for plaster IMO, but then Im not a plaster expert either. It might be the plaster is still soft enough that a nylon one will work fine.

out of stock eh? yeah, I can imagine. They are notoriously popular. They are on most of the regular pool supply sites as well as eBay.

Unless you have muscles upon muscles, I would not recommend the XL. The regular one will be plenty for most folks. I have a regular one, and I dont want one any bigger!

Quote Originally Posted by SuzfromTexas View Post
    Divin Dave gave the tip yesterday about the Wall Whale brush. It sounds great, but it is out of stock on Amazon (the XL version seems to gone indefinitely). So I went to the Gabco website. They offer the brush with nylon bristles, stainless steel, and a 50/50 option.

Which type of bristles do ya'll recommend? I'm going to look for it at the local pool stores. Thanks!

Suz.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

The tail on ours cracked the second year. I thing the pole fell off of a wall and it snapped off. But I liked it up until then. It takes more pressure to push but that pressure is just straight line pushing, and it converts that to downward pressure on the floor/wall.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Great info, Divin D. Nope, no Popeye muskles here..... In fact, I would probably need a mini whale brush (isn't that an oxymoron?). But.... I'll have my son do most of the brushing! I should say, 'pay my son'!! I've worked that into my budget for the pool. LOL!!! Thanks!
    Suz.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    The tail on ours cracked the second year. I thing the pole fell off of a wall and it snapped off. But I liked it up until then. It takes more pressure to push but that pressure is just straight line pushing, and it converts that to downward pressure on the floor/wall.

Thanks!! It seems they may be tricky to get. I called a nearby pool store (hisssssss). The young guy was super. He has a blended bristle (50-50 of nylon, stainless steel) wall whale, but he thought that would be too rough on new plaster not yet cured. (pretty nice, since he could have probably made the sale with me). He called other stores and found one not too far. They were holding it for me, but the guy called me back right away and said the other store realized it was a defective brush waiting to be returned. The guy put me on their order list. He sure tried to help!

Also to confirm what DivnDave said.... The guy at the store said he did have the XL, but he said people often return those.

I think I'll call my PB tomorrow and see what he says about the blended bristle. But I don't want to ruin brand new plaster!!!

Anyone have more info? Thanks!
    Suz.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

My WW was nylon (almost certain but not 100%) but the one before that (at the time of new plaster) was SS and nylon and I felt it made some scratches in the new plaster. I wouldn't use any SS for a few months if it were me.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Suz, my PT paperwork I got yesterday says nylon bristled brush only.
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Thanks, Wendy! That is exactly what I needed to know!
    Suz.

10. Back To Top    #10

By the way - tell your son to be extra careful when brushing so that the "tail" doesn't flip past the brush and he begins scraping the plaster with the tail instead of the bristles...

It happened to me a bit on my brand new pool (pictures coming)... when you pull the brush backwards for the next stroke the tail wants to flip over the top of the bristles.

It's hard to tell how much i scraped off but there's definitely variations in the texture where I inadvertently scraped it (actually a couple of different places because I'm a slow learner and it's easy to do). just be careful...

One last thought I have with the brushing of a new pool is that it's not so much the force that's applied (and easily generated with a Whale Tail) but more of the consistent brushing that is most important that 1st week of acid washing. I'd say just more consistent brushing over the entire pool surfaces (walls, seats, steps and of course the bottom) that does the most good.

I can definitely feel changes in texture (a bit rougher) where i must have missed brushing.

At least its a good work out.

Good Luck!
    April-June 2015 build - gunite 16'6" x 32' rectangle (548 sqft) SWG IG 19.25k gallon - 3'6" x 6' x 4'6" depths with 5'6"x 9' spa (49sqft)
    StoneScapes Tropics Blue Mini Pebble plaster
    Pentair - 2hp Whisper Flo, Clean & Clear 420, Intellichlor Salt System IC40, Mastertemp 400k BTU NG, Badu Stream II SwimJet

11. Back To Top    #11

I found a Wall Whale XL today at a local store for $19.99. I wanted the regular, not the XL but I'm a big guy and will make it work. The store rep told me it was a discontinued product and once the sold the last 2 they had they would not get anymore. he also had a knock off but it looked pretty cheap and not sure it would perform as well.
    Dig started 5/6/2015!! 17x37 pool. 6x8 Ledgestone spa with 6 jets. Sunshelf w/ 2 illuminated bubblers. Pentair Intelliflo VS pump. Silencer 1hp spa blower. Pentair Ultratemp heat pump. 3 Globrite LED lights in pool, 1 in spa. Travertine marble deck. Easytouch 8 automation. IC-40 SWG.

12. Back To Top    #12

I would not get the XL version. That thing is big.

For plaster less than a year old, you should stick with nylon.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

I read all the reviews and everyone said the XL was too big. The regular one we have is awsome.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

14. Back To Top    #14

FYI, when my nylon brush that came with the wall whale fell apart after a few years, I now bought a similar mixed bristle brush and moved the tail over to the new brush. Just have to find one that looks like the similar mounting style.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

I have been using my WallWhale brush for over 3 years now and I LOVE IT! Not only does it improve bristle-to-wall contact pressure (my "tail" is only set to half way point and it creates phenomenal pressure) but it also creates LOTS of aeration and deep water mixing. I love to use it right after chemical additions to really mix up the water. If you start with the tail slightly out of the water, you can drag air bubbles all the way down to the bottom and create lots of aeration.

Got mine in Ace Hardware.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

16. Back To Top    #16

This thing is huge, without comparing to a "typical" brush or even the classic. Do you know if the tail is the same size as the classic? Is it the brush itself that makes it XL? Maybe for $20 its worth taking the tail off and mounting on a regular size nylon brush..Thanks
    Dig started 5/6/2015!! 17x37 pool. 6x8 Ledgestone spa with 6 jets. Sunshelf w/ 2 illuminated bubblers. Pentair Intelliflo VS pump. Silencer 1hp spa blower. Pentair Ultratemp heat pump. 3 Globrite LED lights in pool, 1 in spa. Travertine marble deck. Easytouch 8 automation. IC-40 SWG.

17. Back To Top    #17

I have the XL and it's the only brush I've had thats worth a darn.

A lot of other brushes miss certain areas of my pool and have not nearly as much surface area.

It is tough to operate that though and I have it on the lightest setting. But it sure does get the job
    done when I need to super scour.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

18. Back To Top    #18

Anyone know an online spot to pick up the classic version? Can't find it at local pool stores.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

19. Back To Top    #19

So I contacted a local pool supply store and asked if they had any Whale Brushes. Their online catalog had the same picture of the one I found on Amazon (out of Stock). He said that his supplier has stopped ordering them because the manufacturer had switched to a Chinese source and they were breaking easily ...... He said he was at a lose as to where to get any at the moment. He said if I found one, to double check the quality. Not sure how accurate this is, still checking around.
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

20. Back To Top    #20

Here is the link to their website. GABco Products' Home Page - Home of the Wall Whale and the Skimmer Angel
    I think they list all all of their distributors. But you can also search by zip code to find a retailer. Hope this helps.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast