Pump T R O U B L E

Mar 31, 2013
TN
last Thursday night my youngest girl had some friends over for a night swim. In the process of trying to turn our 4 corner fountains on she turned the intake off on the pump. Don't think it ran long that night like that cause it is on a timer that turns off around 8. So I go to work the next day and come home for lunch and pool water isn't circulating. Walk out there and open easy touch and water temp is 150. Panic is slowly setting in. That is when I found intake valves closed. I opened them and turned pump back on and everything ran fine but had a leak on the outlet fitting of the pump. Also I was getting air in lines real bad. I Replaces seals in the strainer basket and replaced the one on the outlet of the pump. Had to leave pump off for 24hrs to let silicone set up. I checked it today and I have a small drip on outlet side of pump that I think silicone will stop but the air is still getting in. I have sprayed soapy water around fitting but see nothin. Of course a leak would suck not blow. Also my FC level went to 0 by being off all day. I am hoping that will come up now that pump is on.

How do I find that leak? Also will my Polaris 280 work with air in the system. It didn't seem to want to go to the bottom and clean like it should.

Ideas please.

A good way to find an air leak is to have someone turn off the pump while you're carefully watching the spot where you suspect a leak. When the pump shuts off, there's a temporary burst of pressure that will sometimes squirt out of the leak spot. Try turning the pump on and off a few times while observing closely.

In addition to the comments above, it seems as if you have two issues now: A small water leak on the outlet of your pump (pressure side) and you say air is "still getting in" (suction side). So if I'm reading your situation correctly, the water drips on the pressure side should be easily identifiable and as noted above would probably require new seal(s). If you are still getting air in your lines, have you exhausted everything noted HERE?

That's a shame it happened, and I hope you get everything resolved soon. Good luck.

Re-plumbed the intake last night and the air leak appears to be stopped. Still might have a drop on pressure side, gonna check that out further.

Did notice on my filter that the spout on top where you can open and get air out has a drip now. Hopefully that is just some kind of seal. Don't think the two are related.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.