Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Valve Replacement Advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Valve Replacement Advice

The great people who built my pool put the plumbing so close together that not only can't I use Jandy NeverLube valves, but I can't even change the plumbing to make it possible. Each 2" line is within an inch of the other so that I can't use elbows to make space for the valves.

The Jandy valves are 6.5" wide, but my current valves from 1980 are 5 3/16". Does anyone have any recommendations for decent valves that will fit in that space?

EDIT - I've checked the Pentair and Hayward valves and it looks like they're all 6" or larger, which isn't going to work.
    20k gal. IG plaster w/spa. 2 HP Aqua-Flo "A" pump, Hayward DE6020 filter. "The Pool Cleaner".

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Valve Replacement Advice

This is what I'm dealing with plumbing-wise:

The original valves are Pentair Ortega P60305:

Looks like I may have to rebuild these valves as I can't find anything that will fit.
    20k gal. IG plaster w/spa. 2 HP Aqua-Flo "A" pump, Hayward DE6020 filter. "The Pool Cleaner".

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Basically to replace the valve, the only way to install a Jandy valve is to cut off all 3 pipes down lower, then rebuild up with couplings on the two lines from the left and then 2 45's on the last pipe which will give you extra space to the right of the 3way Jandy. Does that make sense? It's pool plumbing 201 though. Or, parts are available to rebuild your Ortega valves.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by OldPoolMan View Post
    Basically to replace the valve, the only way to install a Jandy valve is to cut off all 3 pipes down lower, then rebuild up with couplings on the two lines from the left and then 2 45's on the last pipe which will give you extra space to the right of the 3way Jandy. Does that make sense? It's pool plumbing 201 though. Or, parts are available to rebuild your Ortega valves.
    The center pipe would need to be shifted at least 11/16" to the right also, since it is too close to the left pipe. I suppose I could do two 45's on the center and 4 on the right (less head than a 90 and two 45's). That sure might look weird.

5. Back To Top    #5

There is VERY little savings in using 2 45s in place of 1 90 fitting.

You could certainly shift the the center pipe over with a couple 45s and shift the right pipe over even further, with a pair of 45s starting lower or just use a couple 90s ... will not add much head loss.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I thought i had seen a 3 way tight fit valve somewhere on line a while back. Google it and you might get lucky.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, Jandy makes a "Space Saver" line of valves. Although they do not look as nice as the Neverlube.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!