Reverse the ports on an Intex Ultra frame? And other plumbing questions

CeltiaK

Bronze Supporter
May 8, 2014
Western Mass.
Hi everyone,

Somehow I talked my DH into a midseason upgrade to an Ultra Frame from our blue blob. I have a plan for PVC plumbing IN REVERSE, and I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

Part of the reason I want a reverse layout is because we’re also planning our hardscaping now. I’m short and I need to be able to stand right at the pool wall all the way around for vacuuming. New England isn’t warm enough to guarantee I can get in the pool every week to clean – so a decent path around the perimeter is a must. I really dislike our current setup with the equipment 1’ away from the pool, so I’ve designed an equipment pad on the far side of the new walkway – about 3-4’ away from the pool wall. I want the SWG electronics to face the walkway, so I need to spin all the equipment around. Therefore, it also makes sense to reverse the plumbing lines.

The new pool is the new design with (2) itty bitty 1"? suctions and (1) 1.5" return. I have a Hayward through-the-wall skimmer on order, so if I pipe up as Intex intended, that would be THREE suctions and one return. Instead, I would flip that; I would cut in the skimmer on the left side of the pool and use the existing left side port as a 2nd suction. Then I would cap off one of the itty bitty ports, and cut the other itty bitty port to a standard 1.5" as my single return.

One problem is that the skimmer and suction will now both be high on the pool side. I saw where one person added an elbow and downpipe inside his pool to suck more water from the lower half. Is this a good plan?

Another problem is closing off one of the itty bitty ports. My blue blob came with nice large threaded nut designs for both ports, and the new pool has one of these nuts for the return. But the itty bitty connection is a joke - it's just a nipple (with no gasket) that apparently magically seats itself on the pool wall without leaking. Right. The nipple is supposed to mate to the cheesy Intex vacuum hose material with some equally cheesy clamps. So, assuming I'm throwing all of that away, how the heck should I seal that hole? One option is to cut it larger and install the "good" through-wall nut, then cap off on the outside. Another option is to patch it… seems like a really big hole for a patch. Any thoughts? Is there a better cap for this little hole? Finally, also consider that soon, we’ll want a heater for this pool. I COULD use this port and cut another for the heating system. We now have 3 Intex pumps, so I can run an isolated heating line (our main pump is the 2650 sand filter pump - the others are small cartridge filter pumps that came with both pools). Is there a better connection plan for this port with that information in mind?

Finally, a question on plumbing parts. We mapped out what we wanted/needed and spent an hour at HD yesterday fitting PVC to an Intex through-wall nut. I am VERY happy with our purchases. We picked up box adaptors, wide elbows, 3 valves, some spa hose to hang on the pool sides, and some hard PVC pipe to lay on the ground. What I'm NOT happy about are the 1.25" valves we bought... they didn't have any 1.5" and I let DH convince me the 1.25 would be fine. Should I return the 1.25” valves (and the reducers needed to mate them) and buy the 1.5” from Lowes (who DOES have them in stock)?

Thanks for getting through all this. Any thoughts/advice will be much appreciated!

I don't think having your skimmer and the other suction at the same level is a problem. I only have a Hayward skimmer and nothing else, and it keeps my pool clean.

But I think you could safely plug both of those smaller holes and install the skimmer on the other side of the return, then you could use the return port for its intended purpose. I think you should keep the return higher up on the wall so that it better circulates the water at the surface towards the skimmer.

Intex sells a plug to block those smaller holes. You could probably seal them up really well with some silicone caulking.

Strainer Hole Plug For 16' Below Agp Pools - Intex

And personally, I would go 1.5" plumbing all the way. I wouldn't want to restrict the flow if I could avoid it.

What do you know? I do have those little black plugs in the box. The water is just below the ports - we'll finish filling and plumbing today. I can't wait to fire up the pump and see what kind of flow we've got!

I did exchange the valves for 1.5". It was the right thing to do - the connections are so much cleaner and the flow won't have that unnecessary constriction.

I'm in awe over all the hard work TFPers have put in on this topic over the years - any question I have (silicone lube? PTFE thread dope? gaskets? unions? flex hose? plugs?) is so quickly answered with a search. This site is gold!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.