Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deck preservative/coating recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1

Deck preservative/coating recommendations

I have a deck next to the pool that has always been stained with TWP wood preservative. The horizontal areas in direct sun always fade badly and need re-staining every year or two at the most, while the verticals pretty much hold their color.
    Looking for recommendations for a coating that would be more permanent, if there is such a thing. I HATE painting and re-staining, so looking to minimize upkeep!

24' round, above-ground Doughboy, Mistique 52" side-wall pool w/ bowl shaped bottom. (approx 15,200 gallons). Installed in 2007.
    #200 Sand Dollar Filter. All new sand in 2014.
    1.5 HP Dynamo pump. New impeller and shaft seal in 2015.
    New liner installed in 2015.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deck preservative/coating recommendations

I hear ya! It is a royal pain to power-wash, scrub, prep, and re-stain decking. Recently I tried one of those Behr exterior decking paints as opposed to just regular tinted stain. You can chose just about any color, and they have different levels of protection (i.e. 10 yr, 20 yr). It just seems a little thicker which I like. I just did it a little over a year ago. It's in full sun and I have 6 hyperactive dogs. So far it's holding-up pretty well.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, I have been looking at that stuff as well. Thanks for the feedback!
    24' round, above-ground Doughboy, Mistique 52" side-wall pool w/ bowl shaped bottom. (approx 15,200 gallons). Installed in 2007.
    #200 Sand Dollar Filter. All new sand in 2014.
    1.5 HP Dynamo pump. New impeller and shaft seal in 2015.
    New liner installed in 2015.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    I hear ya! It is a royal pain to power-wash, scrub, prep, and re-stain decking. Recently I tried one of those Behr exterior decking paints as opposed to just regular tinted stain. You can chose just about any color, and they have different levels of protection (i.e. 10 yr, 20 yr). It just seems a little thicker which I like. I just did it a little over a year ago. It's in full sun and I have 6 hyperactive dogs. So far it's holding-up pretty well.
    My neighbor just sanded his deck and re-did it with the same product. It looks amazing. Filled in every void in the wood and made it look brand new. His deck surrounds his pool, the best part of it is that it's almost an anti slip coating too.
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

We did this with the Olympic brand from lowes on our front porch. It looked awesome for about 3 months.....now its flaking and chipping everywhere.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM