Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to site and pool care

1. Back To Top    #1

New to site and pool care

I have an 16x32 inground pool with a liner and a hayward pump and we have had pool for just a year. I live in Ohio and we had heavy rain all day and probably got over 6" of rain yesterday. In between downpours I turned pump on and put the port to waste and drained water out, just a couple inches and turned off pump. I wake up this morning to the water drained to the skimmer and started freaking out! Do you think because i left the port handle on waste, it could have drained? But the pump was not on at all. Thanks for any advice!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to site and pool care

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, I think in that position if the pool is above the pump the water will slowly drain out the backwash pipe.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

o no! even if the pump is off? thanks for replying so fast i appreciate it!

4. Back To Top    #4

In that setting the only thing holding the water back would be the pump impeller and it will move freely. Gravity does the work instead of the pump motor.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP! Dittos on what Tim stated.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.