pool pump

Water features, spa, slide, in floor cleaning, filter type and size?
Utility cost, any chance of a rebate program for two-speed or variable speed?

If you want best, I'd say go with a variable speed pump. The Pentair Inteliflo 011018 3 hp pump might be a good choice.

The Inteliflo 011018 has onboard controls that allow a lot of flexibility. Because it has 3 hp does not mean it cost a lot, or cost a lot to run. Mine spends most of its time running at 1000 rpm, using the electricity of one 100watt bulb, and you can buy the pump for about $800. I even got an extra $100 rebate from Pentair on mine. I think it's a good choice and a good value, but may be a bit prejudice based on my experience with mine. Your pool, your choice.

I have a Pentair intellipro as well. I like it because it is new and fancy with cool buttons to push. My pump runs at about 1100 rpm most of the time and the display shows it using about 120watts or so. I turn it up to about 2700rpm to run the infloor cleaning system for a few hours a day. The display shows it using about 1100watts at this speed. I've only had mine a couple of months but I am very happy thus far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm recommending a 3/4 hp 2-speed with a manual high/low switch and an intermatic mechanical timer. Run in low most of the time. It will be a pretty bullet proof setup.
This Pump or comparable:
Pentair SuperFlo Pump 341111. Pentair 341111.
Then this timer: Intermatic T101R 120-Volt SPST 24 Hour Mechanical Time Switch with Outdoor Case - Wall Timer Switches - Amazon.com
Or if you want to get fancy/automation: Amazon.com: Intermatic PE153 Digital Time Clock In Metal Enclosure: Home Improvement

The PE153 will switch high/low speed for you.

How much do you want to spend?

The thing with a two speed is, by the time you add the cost of a controller to switch speeds, the cost is getting close to a VS pump with lots of versatility and a timer/controller built right in.

I haven't sipped the VS pump cool aid yet. There are places where they're called for (high electrical rates (greater than $.30 KwH, lots of water features) but in some places they don't add value. They don't recoup the additional cost in energy savings. There's no right or wrong, but it comes down to individual situation and preference.
As a side note, will you be leaving the pump out side year round or bringing it in? Using unions will make it easier to remove and bring in, if you decide to go that route.

I have the 011018 (it's in my sig) and VarSpd is the cat's meow, the bee's knees...amazing little pump with a TON of versatility. You can really dial in the exact amount of flow or pressure you want.

It has its own timer.

A tech at Pentair suggested I used pressure gauge on my filter to adjust the rpms of the motor. With my solar panels running, he said 15 psi should be plenty. That equated to 2500 rpm. In the winter with no solar running and the pool closed, he suggest 5 psi. That may not break a 1000 rpm. I have a flow meter on order so I'm curious to see the rpm vs. pressure vs. flow curves. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.