Couple quick questions regarding SLAM

Jun 28, 2015
Wheaton, IL
I am in the middle of doing the SLAM process. My pool was not green, just a very cloudy blue with a whitish organic growth on the pool light and steps.

I bought one of those Scum balls because I noticed an oily looking residue on the water surface. Is it okay to add the scum ball to my skimmer mid SLAM or should I wait until water clears and I pass the overnight test?

I am adding 3 gallons of 12% liquid chlorine for the past 4 days. Is this normal and if so, about how much longer will I need to do this? My chlorine levels are about the same every morning so far at about FC 1 CC 3 TC 4

CYA 45
TA 170
PH 7.3

I also have 2 water spout features. Should I be running them during the day?
I also have an auto cover. Open or closed at night during this process and in general? I have been keeping it closed because we have lots of trees in the neighborhood and it gets a lot of debris when left open.

If you would like any additional information please assume I have no idea and let me know how to get that information for you.

Thank you

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

It looks like you have a good test kit so you are well on your way. Be sure to update your signature line with your test kit info.

1. Usually a scum ball is for oily substances like tanning oils etc. I would probably wait to use it once you are done with the SLAM. I think the SLAM will probably take care of what your're seeing on its own.

2. You have to stay very vigilant on keeping your FC levels up. Based on your numbers, you are not there yet. You are still breaking down a lot of organics. Brush everything as much as you can and try and maintain a FC between 16-20 at all times. Remember, you have to maintain those levels until your CC is .5 or less AND you pass an OCLT AND your water is clear.

3. You can run the water spouts some. There could be algae in them that needs some attention.

4. You can use the cover but it is preferable to let the pool breathe to get rid of all the CCs you got goin' on.

Leave the cover open so the sun can burn off the CC's. You will find by doing so, it will go down. As far as SLAM'ing the pool, you are not even close to doing so if your FC is at 1ppm. You should be around 20ppm. Look at the Chlorine/CYA chart here: Chlorine CYA Chart.

SLAM means Shock Level And MAINTAIN. Maintaining is the key here in not letting it get below 18ppm FC until you can pass the Overnight FC Loss Test.

Thank you for the help. I added some additional info in my signature.
The 3 gallons of 12% seemed like a ton of chlorine to be added each morning, but it sounds like I need to add the same amount at night to keep my FC up? Should I be adding a gallon like every couple hours instead of all at the same time to maintain the level then? (Bring back up in the morning and adjust through the day?)

Should I be adding a gallon like every couple hours instead of all at the same time to maintain the level then? (Bring back up in the morning and adjust through the day?)
Absolutely. Here is an excerpt from Step 1 of the SLAM instructions:

"Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first. As things progress, you will lose less chlorine each cycle and can add chlorine less frequently."

The more you test and add chlorine the faster you will get done with the SLAM.

3 gals is nothing :( It is going to take quite a bit more before you are done. How much and how long we do not know. Every pool is different.

You can do it! Try for at least 4 tests and adding chlorine a day-morning when you get up, WHen you get home, at dinner time, before you go to bed. IF you can do it more often do so!

Kim

Thank you again, looks like I need to go get several more cases of chlorine. I felt like 3 gallons/per day was a lot but really had no reference point. It makes me feel better that I am not just wasting money on it through the confirmation here. I will get more and add it throughout the day and let you know how it goes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.