Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back yard renovation/new pool house construction

1. Back To Top    #1

Back yard renovation/new pool house construction

We live in Southern Illinois and have been in our home for 5 years now. The home was built around 1978 and had an existing in ground pool and shed.

Attachment 39053Attachment 39054

What started as a desire for an outdoor kitchen and bathroom ballooned into a design for a full heated and cooled enclosed "house" minus a bedroom as city regulations would not permit that and honestly we didn't need it anyway. We did want a space that we could use year round for parties and entertaining.

We hired Philip Durham of Studio Durham Architects, St. Louis, to design our project. We chose him for his super slick and modern design style. Our builder has been fantastic but of course, behind schedule. My hope was to have it done by Memorial Day, but that dream is long gone. Things were going swimmingly until we tried to open the pool. The electric wiring to the deep end light got ripped out during demo and the auto vac line had a large leak that required cutting in to the existing deck. I also decided that after the roof was installed and looked bluish, that the paint colors would never work, so they're still working on repainting the entire thing (oops!). Anyway, here are some photos of the project so far.

Attachment 39055

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Back yard renovation/new pool house construction

Oh never mind, I guess I won't post pics. The website won't let me add more. Three pics and I've "exceeded my quota." Sorry for the project fake out.

3. Back To Top    #3

Try photobucket. Free and very easy to post pics in the forum
    Owner Builder; Under construction, 17K Gallons SWG IG Geometric; 31X20'; 600sf; 104ft perim; depth 4'-6'. Sun-shelf; bubblers; sheer descents; Dolphin M400; Pentair Intelliflo XF; Clean and Clear 520; Easytouch 8; IC40; 2 color LEDs; TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm trying the tapatalk app. I only have an iPad, no computer.

30k gal, IG plaster epoxy paint and stainless steel sides, built ~1980, sand filter, TF-100, SWG Circupool RJ-45, Dolphin M400.

5. Back To Top    #5

Brazilian quartzite for countertops and backsplash.

Brown is old color, all wrong.

30k gal, IG plaster epoxy paint and stainless steel sides, built ~1980, sand filter, TF-100, SWG Circupool RJ-45, Dolphin M400.

6. Back To Top    #6

Fireplace

Changing to white

New concrete patio with a huge planter. Existing deck was completely rotten. House will need a face lift too.

7. Back To Top    #7

So much left to do: finish painting the exterior, build the trellis to connect the storage building to the main building, pour the rest of the concrete, stain the existing pool deck to match, install the kitchen and bathroom.

8. Back To Top    #8

It is going to be great! Take it one project at a time, and remember to breath.

The rock you chose for your counter tops is amazing! The fireplace is awesome, and the wood beams gorgeous. What a space you will have when it is all done. Can't wait to see.
    18' to 29' wide by 37' long, 22K gal, Lagoon Free form, vinyl lined, in ground Pool with SWG, Hayward Cartridge 175 Filter, 3/4 HP Tri-Star, Gas fired 300 BTU heater

9. Back To Top    #9

That IS a house! LOL I say get a day bed or one of these to keep in there.

Wildon Home All Weather 4 Piece Lounge Seating Group with Cushions | Wayfair

WOW! When yo do something you do it right!

I can't wait to see the rest!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Great suggestion!

11. Back To Top    #11

That is fantastic! Going to be great for many years to come.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Kitchen cabinets have been installed and the new color is done. Goal for this week is finishing up the concrete and the trellis. Water is sparkling and we had a great first full week in the pool.

13. Back To Top    #13

Awesome! How deep is your pool? It looks gigantic in the first photo!
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm 5'11". I think the deepest depth is at least 9 feet, maybe 10. It's 20'x40 built probably late 70's or early 80's. I know I need to do a signature. I thought I did one a while back and just haven't gotten around to it.

15. Back To Top    #15

Ours is 8 on the deep end; yours looks a lot deeper. Nice. Our is also older..over 30 years at least. I haven't been able to nail down the actual build date.
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Great project! Like the orange daylilies too. Kind of reminds
    me of the Property Brother's pool build at their family complex - less the slide.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

17. Back To Top    #17

I am liking the building color change to white. Much better.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

19. Back To Top    #19

That is looking Awesome! Thanks for the update! I really like the way the pergola was done, to wrap around the pool house. Is it called a pergola even? I also really like the contrast of the black posts / wood top / white pool house, it is really sharp looking!
    18' to 29' wide by 37' long, 22K gal, Lagoon Free form, vinyl lined, in ground Pool with SWG, Hayward Cartridge 175 Filter, 3/4 HP Tri-Star, Gas fired 300 BTU heater

20. Back To Top    #20

NIce progress! That is great looking!

Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast