Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool lost 6" of water

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool lost 6" of water

From 6:30AM today until 9PM tonight the pool water level dropped 6"
    The day before it lost 4"
    The pool just finished a 3 day SLAM and looks great and is balanced and no one was in it until 7PM today.
    I am eliminating "splash out of water" as there were only 3 people in it and the activity was pretty limited for those 2 hours (7pm-9PM)
    Today was mainly overcast so it wasn't evaporation.

It doesn't appear to be a leak at the equipment pad.
    I will do a bucket test but losing 4" and then 6" doesn't seem to warrant the test.
    I am at a loss.
    I can send photos in the morning of the equipment if you need to see what is what over there.
    Help!
    Thanks!
    Memphis TN New to owning a Pool.Appx. 25,000 gallon inground gunite outdoor pool appx 20x40 curvy shape surrounded by 10 large crepe myrtles and other trees.Pool was installed about 20 years ago.
    Triton II Sand Filter Pentair Chlorinator 3" tabs Polaris vacuum 3' to 7' with a diving board. Taylor 2006 FAS DPD Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool lost 6" of water

I would suggest to let the pool go until it stops leaking which can be at a few different points... the skimmer, a return, or the light niche if you have one.

Is it wet near your pump set up? Do you have a main drain? Do you notice it leaking faster when the pump is on or off?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I would suggest to let the pool go until it stops leaking which can be at a few different points...
    Apologies but what does "let the pool go" mean?
    Memphis TN New to owning a Pool.Appx. 25,000 gallon inground gunite outdoor pool appx 20x40 curvy shape surrounded by 10 large crepe myrtles and other trees.Pool was installed about 20 years ago.
    Triton II Sand Filter Pentair Chlorinator 3" tabs Polaris vacuum 3' to 7' with a diving board. Taylor 2006 FAS DPD Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

but what does "let the pool go" mean?
    It means let it leak down until it stops. That level will indicate where the leak is.

I also agree there is absolutely no need to do a bucket test. With the loss you are describing, no further confirmation is needed.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Just let it leak out until it stops.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

The water loss stopped at the bottom of the skimmer level.
    Pool Expert came by and said it was a case of someone turning the multiport valve without turning off the power and/or not pressing down on handle when turning the multiport.
    This caused the rubber gasket thing inside the multiport to "roll and compact itself"which allowed water to enter the waste chamber when the multiport was set to filter. A spillover effect from one chamber to the next.
    Pool is no longer leaking.

7. Back To Top    #7

Good news! Thanks for posting back with the solution.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach