So done.

May 11, 2015
Surprise, AZ
Im at a loss and looking for some help.

Our pool was filled about a week ago and ever since we are just finding issue after issue. I'm done, so very done.

-the pool pump breaker keeps tripping when we turn the light on ( happens at random) the came out already and replaced the breaker and it's still doing it.

-the deck is not very smooth on the underneath it's the acrylic lace. You can see chunks missing and where it's deep pits.

-one of the travertine stones is a totally different color on top of the sheer.

- not sure if this is normal however, the pebble sheen is very wavey if that's even the word for it. When you run your hand over some spots you can notice dips.

What am I supposed to do I feel like I should only allow the company to come out enough times before we need to figure something else out but what? Do I have to just keep calling and complaining? Where is my super on this why is he not handling these issues?? Apprently because the pool is filled with water now we have to go through the warranty department.

Thanks for any help.

Can you post some pics so we can see?

Sorry you are having all these issues.

I wish I knew what to say. A pool is such a big expense, you want everything to be perfect. Have you made the final payment? Maybe you should make a list of all the things that aren't right and prioritize them. Try to schedule a discussion, phone or meeting, or maybe e-mail with the bullet points numbered (Issue #1, #2, #3 etc.). The breaker tripping is clearly a huge problem that he has to address, the one travertine stone not matching might turn out to be an endearing quirk (hard to say without pics). The pics you posted on your build thread look fabulous, but it isn't a a close up. Regardless, I am sorry for all the things that are making you unhappy about your pool, and you will be in my thoughts. Keep us posted.

I feel so bad for you. Saps the joy out of what should be an amazing summer with a new pool. I would begin to communicate with your PB in writing. Start off with a factual, no emotion letter stating all of the defects you've uncovered. Be as specific as possible. To the extent you know, you should propose how you want the issue remedied. Give deadlines, say 30 days, to get everything done. When the PB contacts you over the phone, as I'm sure he will, you should take notes of the date, time, length of the phone call and then send an e-mail or letter to him saying, "Thank you for the phone call last Thursday. We agreed that the __________ will be fixed by _________, 2015, to include replacing the __________. If I've misunderstood or misstated our discussion, please let me know in writing ASAP."

If no action after that, invoke either the BBB (no cost to do this) or hire an attorney to send a second letter. That will usually get their attention. Look at your contract - there may be an arbitration clause that you can invoke, and there also may be a statement in there that the losing party to a dispute will pay the prevailing party's attorney fees. This would be good to mention to any prospective attorney, for various reasons.

Good luck, wish I could be more helpful, but I'm not familiar with the laws in AZ.

Thanks for all the kind replies everyone. I will try and post the pictures of the deck and travertine but the other issues are not really visible issues.

- - - Updated - - -

This one was hard to get because I was in the pool but it's like not smooth missing paint, and looks like chunks are missing.

Some thoughts

Have you made a final payment? Your final payment is your best leverage.

Write a final punch list and give it to the PB. Tell him no final payment until that is complete. Find the guy with your PB who has the power to get things done and concentrate on him.

Ok so the PB replaced the breaker-- now he needs to replace the lights one by one.

Were there extra travertine stones ? Have your PB bring some by and try to find one that you think matches. There should be extra stones.

I'm not sure I understand your deck question but your PB should be able to to look at it and make some suggestions.

As to your finish question talk to your PB about it. Generally the plaster is a thin waterproof membrane over the gunite or shotcrete. So any major problems are problems in the gunite. Did the unfinished shell exhibit the same problem? Se what your PB says -- I bet its something like that the variations are within industry standard.

Tell us how its going with your PB.

Unfortunately the final payment was due prior to interior finish. The final payment wouldn't of even mattered because the breaker we didn't notice till about a week after the pool had water in it. As well as not being able to notice the pebble issue until the pool was filled. I couldn't justify holding payment till after the pool was filled.

While most of these issues are small it's still very annoying because it's so many small ones.

We're being told the pool light is on a seperate breaker so it shouldn't have any effect on the pool pump breaker tripping. But somehow it is.

I feel like we have had an issue with every single sub that was out here and it worries me because I don't no much about these issues other than what was visible. What else am I missing? That thought worries me.

At this point this many issues still outstanding is unacceptable.

When you have a task that seems to be overwhelming you, simply break up that task into manageable pieces. Why don't you start with the pool light tripping the pump? If they are, in fact on separate breakers, then that can't happen so the next task is to figure out why the pump breaker is tripping.

The pool company should fix that rather easily. You have to be the one to "bird dog" them and make them do it. They will tire of your phone calls if you are relentless. I know you shouldn't "have" to, but who else is going to do it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you have a task that seems to be overwhelming you, simply break up that task into manageable pieces. Why don't you start with the pool light tripping the pump? If they are, in fact on separate breakers, then that can't happen so the next task is to figure out why the pump breaker is tripping.

The pool company should fix that rather easily. You have to be the one to "bird dog" them and make them do it. They will tire of your phone calls if you are relentless. I know you shouldn't "have" to, but who else is going to do it?

I am SO sorry you are going through and I know EXACTLY what you mean...My pool has had water for almost 3 weeks, and this last weekend is the third time they emptied half the pool to try to get the liner to fit right. I have about 3-4 other things ongoing with them that have not been addressed. I will say the one thing different is I have withheld the final payment and therefore they are staying as 'on top' of these issues as they are ever on top of anything.

I would do exactly what you are told here, the attorney's I work for recommended the same thing. Being an accountant - I'm better with numbers than words, but their one bit of advice is to make a clear list of the issues, in priority of attention, leave out ALL emotion, make it short and sweet and add the deadline. Consistently follow up everything with an email or letter in writing, and I always copy the salesman, the head of construction and the coordinator on my emails. I hate that I have to be on top of them, and I know they dread when I call but I want my pool don't right, all in I spent ALOT Of money and it should be done correctly. I am sure you feel the same way, and I wish you luck getting these things fixed so you can enjoy your absolutely beautiful pool.

Well, today the electrician called and stated that he is not exactly sure what is going on but stated that a solution would be to remove the GFI on the pool pump and put a standard breaker there which is not to code and will not pass any inspection not that we need one however, selling the house or refinancing that will be a problem as well as a safety issue i believe. i wish i knew what was causing this problem. he said everything else looked fine however. apparently the new variable speed pumps do not get along with the GFI but how could this even be possible when many people have GFIS and VSP???

Well, today the electrician called and stated that he is not exactly sure what is going on but stated that a solution would be to remove the GFI on the pool pump and put a standard breaker there which is not to code and will not pass any inspection not that we need one however, selling the house or refinancing that will be a problem as well as a safety issue i believe. i wish i knew what was causing this problem. he said everything else looked fine however. apparently the new variable speed pumps do not get along with the GFI but how could this even be possible when many people have GFIS and VSP???

That is something the pool pump manufacturer can address. Yes, it is true that some pumps need special GFCI breakers in order to not trip, but many pump manufacturers know this and can recommend a GFCI breaker to pair with the pump. You should have the PB contact the manufacturer or do it yourself and request the appropriate GFCI breaker installation.

As for your other troubles, I am sorry and I know how frustrating it is. I had some landscaping work done and the contractor expected me to pay him before the work was completed. Once he realized that I would not pay the last 10% until he finished the job (including my final punch list), he blew a fit. I remained calm. Once he calmed down and saw that most of my punch-list items were easily fixed, he got them done pretty quick. Unfortunately, many pool PB's require that final payment before fill and, unless you negotiate that away up front, you get stuck with being the thorn in their sides until everything is working the way you want it.

You have my prayers too for a quick resolution....

I know this ins't fun.

Call your PB and have him solve the breaker problem to code. Remind him that you paid him. You did what you were supposed to now he has to perform. He needs to bird dog the electrical. As stated above if you call him enough he will behave. And at some point tell him you will bring in your own electrician and bill him for it.

I also strongly suggest that you communicate with them via email. Build a paper trail.

I am going to guess at the model of pump you have being a Hayward SP3400. If so, the electrician NEEDS to install a Siemens GFCI breaker. We have had several different threads on the forum about this very problem. The part numbers for these breakers are QF215 for 15A or QF220P for 20A. By all means do not allow this guy to install a regular breaker

the attorney's I work for recommended the same thing. Being an accountant - I'm better with numbers than words, but their one bit of advice is to make a clear list of the issues, in priority of attention, leave out ALL emotion, make it short and sweet and add the deadline. Consistently follow up everything with an email or letter in writing, and I always copy the salesman, the head of construction and the coordinator on my emails. I hate that I have to be on top of them, and I know they dread when I call but I want my pool don't right, all in I spent ALOT Of money and it should be done correctly. I am sure you feel the same way, and I wish you luck getting these things fixed so you can enjoy your absolutely beautiful pool.
Great advice. Well said!

Thanks for all the kind replies everyone. I will try and post the pictures of the deck and travertine but the other issues are not really visible issues.

- - - Updated - - -

This one was hard to get because I was in the pool but it's like not smooth missing paint, and looks like chunks are missing.

I dont see anything wrong with any of these images. The decking looks fine and the variations are how the product is supposed to be - not smooth. The variation in color on the travertine is normal - its natural stone. Just my opinion

I've been running a VSP and GFCI with no issues. They ran a fresh 240 branch from your panel, I assume, over to the pool maintenance area? VSP pump, ozonator, light, even had a mosquito black light thing plugged into the service outlet on the same circuit, not an issue. Something is wired wrong. or as stated above, perhaps a particular brand GFCI is needed. I couldn't tell you which model mine is.

They will come back and redo tile. We had cracks in 3 or 4 travertine deck pavers, and they came out and cut them out and replaced them. We also didn't like how some of the glass tiles in our sheer wall had a cluster of dark brown tiles. They came out and replaced those too.

I would probably agree that there are spots here and there on our Baja shelf where the pebble is not flat, maybe lumpy, but it looks fine. That's maybe more of a mental hurdle.

I dont see anything wrong with any of these images. The decking looks fine and the variations are how the product is supposed to be - not smooth. The variation in color on the travertine is normal - its natural stone. Just my opinion
I tend to agree on the spray decking, mine looks similar, actually worse in one area, he's coming back to look at mine on Thursday.

on the VS pump tripping the GFCI, some have recommended a breaker brand that is a LOT less prone to tripping: Ask them to install a SIEMENS brand GFCI.

A lot of folks no longer had tripping issues after installing one.

I also agree with the others about the coping stone and decking looking normal. But if that coping stone really bothers you, they should be
able to replace it with one of a closer shade of color to the others.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.