Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green Water - High CYA - New TFP Student, Need help

1. Back To Top    #1

San Antonio/Tx

Green Water - High CYA - New TFP Student, Need help

Need help in fighting what I believe is the onset of moderate to bad Algae issue.

Current Levels:
    FC = 1 ppm
    CC = .5 ppm
    TC = 1.5 ppm
    CH = 750 ppm
    TA = 140
    CYA = 130 ***

Had to leave home on business for two weeks and lost control of my pool levels. Above are the current readings. While I was gone the pool went green and now I think I've got an algae problem.

I understand from Defeating Algae topic that I need to start SLAM process to clear up the our algae issue, however, the CYA levels are way too high and I would like help in instructions on how to bring the level down to make the process of adding liquid bleach more practical. In order to do that I understand I need to get CYA levels down to below 80 and prefer to get it around optimum level (30-40). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if I can post additional information to help resolve the issue
    In Ground, 13K Gal plaster pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter - Model # S244T, with Hayward Vari-Flo XL Valve,
    Pentair Model # CHII -N1-1A/346204 Pump (1 HP), Pentair Model # 320 In-Line Chlorinator, Polaris Pool Cleaner
    Taylor TF-100 Test Kit, Pool > 5 years old

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Sierra Vista, Az

Re: Green Water - High CYA - New TFP Student, Need help

Welcome to TFP!
    I notice you did not post your PH level.

To lower CYA you will have to do partial drains and refills until the CYA is where you want it. You can you pool math to see how much you will need drain and replace.
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW PA

Re: Green Water - High CYA - New TFP Student, Need help

Yes, partial drains and refills until you hit your mark. Once filled, run filter for half hour, check levels and if it's still high, perform another partial drain/refill.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter