Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Troble opening pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Troble opening pool

We have been keeping chlorine tablets in the skimmer bucket. We put several pounds of shock in the pool and it cleared up pretty well. After a few days we tested the water . Chlorine is low (0.6 free chlorine) Ph is 6.4 Alkalinity is 40. Pool is getting cloudy and green. What should we do?
    In ground 23x38 foot pool. 27,500 gallons. Fox, 24 Mil Hopper style vinyl liner. Hayward s_240 Sand filter with six position valve. I HP pump. Dolphin Primal X3 robotic cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Troble opening pool

Welcome to TFP.

First, you can start by educating yourself. Read these and order a test kit, namely the TF100.

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Chlorine CYA Chart
    Test Kit Comparison
    Recommended Levels

There are more links in Pool School, upper top right of every page.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

What method are you using to test?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

We took the water to a pool store (per instructions from the guy who opened the pool for us). We also have 6 way test strips.
    In ground 23x38 foot pool. 27,500 gallons. Fox, 24 Mil Hopper style vinyl liner. Hayward s_240 Sand filter with six position valve. I HP pump. Dolphin Primal X3 robotic cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Neither of those options will provide reliable results. Check this article, Pool School - Test Kits Compared and get a good test kit. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Your first priority would be to order a recommended test kit. This is absolutely required...we can't help you get your pool crystal clear without out a good test kit. The best value would be a kit from TFTeskits.net. While waiting on the kit please read and re-read Pool School.

Once your test kit arrives perform a complete test battery. Post the results and you will be off to the races.

In the mean time STOP with the pucks and Shock! They may do you more harm than good. I don't think it would be a problem to add a gallon of regular bleach (Not the fancy stuff, easy pour, or smell good kind) per day until your kit arrives.
    39YO 13K gallon former SWAMP/MONEY PIT, concrete bottom/Fiberglass Walls, Ecotech VS pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Dolphin DX5 Plus, Loop-Loc safety cover and YES, I have a TFT-100 test kit!

Shock Level and Maintain - CL/CYA Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Trust me, the amount you save from not buying expensive chemicals more than pays for the kit!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!