DE filter/pump running slow

Jun 22, 2014
wellsburg wv
My husband and I broke down the DE filter, cleaned it out, backwashed, blew the lines, replaced the DE filter and the pump is still running slow. It starts out running great, (around 23) and then the water slows down from the return valve. Not sure what else we need to do to keep it running great for more than an hour. I go out to bump the filter every hour to keep the pump running good, just am not use to the pump/filter slowing down so quickly. Any suggestions?

Welcome to TFP!

What does your water look like?

Sounds like your filter is doing what it is supposed to do. Cloudy water is usually early algae and it clogs filters fast. Backwash, note the pressure and then backwash again when pressure rises 20-25%. With cloudy water and/or algae growing that could be every few hours.

Cloudy water is a chemistry problem, not a filter problem. There is probably not enough chlorine in the pool. Either now or recently. Chlorine should always be kept at target level and never drop below minimum for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart. When chlorine level drops below minimum level the pool is not sanitized and algae starts growing. Often the first signs of algae are rapidly clogging filter, slimy pool walls or cloudy water.

You have just discovered the weakness of a DE filter: it cleans too well. All that cloudiness in your pool is ending up inside the filter, clogging it up the way it's supposed to. It will continue to clog frequently unless you put a stop to the source of the cloudiness, which is probably algae. More than likely, you have insufficient free chlorine for your stabilizer level. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.